• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help ID, please.

7 posts in this topic

Found some tiny coins sitting in an old family album that someone started, but didn't get far. I normally stay away from U.S. stuff and Krause was not much of help. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

2Kopeiki.

indians1.jpg

indians2.jpg

These are what are known as "California Fractional Gold" These have been replicated time and time again. If real they could fetch some good money. Take them to a dealer and have him look at them to be sure, but to me they all seem to be replicas. Hope this helps.

The one on the left looks like a genuine token. The lighter one on the right is a reproduction. Any California token that has a bear upon it is a reproduction. The 1/2 stands for 1/2 dollar. There is value to it but not as much as if it was from the gold rush days.

They are all reproduction "fantasy" tokens and are not genuine California fractional gold. They are also quite likely much newer than the date represented on each piece. These might be worth a few dollars each to someone, but I am not intimitely familiar with the fantasy token market.

Thank you all for your replies. I think you're right, TomB, about these being replicas. But just in case I'll take 'em to the local dealer and see what he says.

Appreciate all your input!

2Kopeiki.