• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: Which do you prefer- Seated coins or Barber coins?

Which do you prefer- Seated coins or Barber coins?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer- Seated coins or Barber coins?

33 posts in this topic

I am a huge Seated fan, but don't fully understand the purpose of this thread. Barbers are fine, just not my preference!

Me -- I love Seated material. Yum, yum!!!

cloud9.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

EVP

I like Seated a little better, but I'm not sure why. Recently I've been developing a liking for Seated halves. They're not terribly expensive and they're a nice design. The eagle on the reverse is especially nice. Yesterday I picked up an AG3 1876-CC at a show. Worn, but a cool coin just the same.

I dont really get the purpose or reasoning behind this thread but,

I prefer seated!!

Its just all around a better coin to look at.

mike

--------------------

dont forget! collect proof sets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I think my title speaks for itself. grin.gif

Everyone says that the "person" on the Barber coins is a female. I still can't see the resemblance. confused.gif

I voted Seated coinage as I like the varieties in design throughout the years, even if the main iconography was used far too long, and the eagle on the reverse looks as though it could be alive as opposed to something that is mounted on a wall display. Also, I dislike the majority of the Mint produced work of Barber and also do not care for the apparent political hand he was allowed to use in the changing of the works of others.

The Seated Lib. coins were inspired by the painter Rembrant (or was it Charles Wilson) Peale. Charles Barber was a hack compared even to Gobrecht, let alone any of the multitalented Peale's.

Oldtrader3,

you're thinking of Titian Peale, who prepared sketches of the flying eagle that was used only on the Gobrecht dollar and the Flying Eagle cent (I think all the Peale brothers were named after famous painters).The painter Thomas Sully prepared sketches for the Seated Liberty obverse. Then Gobrecht made the dies and hubs used for the Seated coins based on those sketches.

Gobrecht based the Liberty heads on the Braided Hair cent and half cent, and the Coronet gold coins, on the portrait of Venus in the painting "Omnia Vincit Amor" by Benjamin West (painted in 1811).

Seated - Liberty looks like the lady she's supposed to be and the eagle looks like an eagle. The Barber designs look like an Appolonian inner vision gone awry on the obverse (half, quarter, dime) and a fricasseed chicken on the reverse (half, quarter). 893whatthe.gif

goodevil.gif Hoot

well until recently I though the portrait on the front of the Barber coinage was a guy, so I like Seated better grin.gif

Well, just an opinion, but I prefer the reverse design of the Seated coinage, and the obverse of the Barber, but not for the reasons given. I think the Barber obverse actually improves with wear, taking on the characteristics of a pencil sketch, while the reverse is poor and no match for the Seated reverse.

Thanks, I could not find the reference to which of the Peale's had provided the inspiration when I posted. Thomas Sully is also, of course, in the same league. Anyhow I stand by my remarks about Charles Barber.

I am a seated Lib person myself. There is just something about lady lib on coinage. The classic look.... I dont know but it sure does look good sort of like the 1950 Merc is for cars there is something that just pulls you in.

hmmmmmmmmm

i like ..........both

as long as they look like this flamed.gif

sincerely michael

olive toning streaks on the cheek not slide marks sweet!!

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893whatthe.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

173222-01ms25.jpg.7f75e870686672f20be7ce0e5323412d.jpg

and this 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

MONSTA!!!!!!!!! luv bug!!!! lustre booming underneath both coins

this one and the above ones

barber non love............. hmmmmmmmmm

many sure do not understand the barbers

or have not seen great coins

too bad they do not know or understand what they are missing

well collecting takes time for growth i understand

just please do not make blanket statements about classic american heritage coins

(((workhorse coins that helped make america what it is today by faciliating trade and commerce!)))

you do not understand or have studied for a long period of time or realizre their significance as for me you are missing much

just my opinion just like yours!

and that is okie more for mee!! shy.gif

173229-93dimeMS.jpg.bc70e2a2de7f21e23d54095e603ed3c9.jpg

and this another monster lustre coin!!

miss liberty shows the american spirit and the strength and the intergrity of the american dream

miss liberty is not an actual person on the barber coin it is the embodyment of america and this country has helped many immigrants get a better life and this country may not be perfect but it is still the best palce for me to be right now in this crazy world

this is really needed today in this country the embodyment of miss barber strength in character and with a powerful sound work ethic and intergrity

too bad all the non like barber people are missing much!!

oh well that is okie their loss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sincerely michael

173248-09BARBER50CENT.jpg.3767aaaf2635e5d923e1a24601369db0.jpg

barbers were the workhorse coin that is why they are so rare and low pop in gem unc

they facilitated the growth in this country and is one of the many reasons why you have the opportunities and enjoy the freedoms you have today comapired to

many other billions of people in other countries!

man you guys????????........................lol

sincerely michael

173256-13dimePF.jpg.5438d2cbc577610369e1c1a83a86d685.jpg

og the aqbove coin is a 1913 proof not an ms.......lol

anywAY HERE IS a seated coin i do not want to leave them out!!

and i will not even comment on the seated series i will do a book on them someday

well probsably not as i cant write it and then get it printed and then lose money when no one buys it!! flamed.gif27_laughing.gif

and i will not even consider a book on barbers...........lol

sincerely michael flamed.gif

173258-1874trade.jpg.62a8c1dd08f7c641094aa866930bb085.jpg

here is one more and please if you can find any of these coins with the same attributes and it is better in the same date and same strike business or proof

than the above coins

PLEASE BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! as then you got the finest known

sincerely michael

173261-small1860.jpg.d3bff18c5a1e7c7ac02401eefeb46e7d.jpg

miss liberty is not an actual person on the barber coin it is the embodyment of america and this country has helped many immigrants get a better life and this country

You are right Michael, and you have some absolutely lovely coins! And one day, when I get my hands on some Barber coinage for my USA type set, then I hope also to have such nice coins.

However, Barber, from all I have read, was a megalomaniac. He kidnapped American coinage more than designing it in the wealth of history or in contemporary artistic talent. His rendition of Liberty was widely disliked (an androgyne) in his time and TDR had an outright fued with him over its redesign! Barber was disrespectful to our national leaders who wished to have coinage that reflected the excellence of American sculpture and beauty in coin design. He disdained the work of others and repeatedly pointed to his "superior" designs.

Just because some of us dislike the designs, does not mean we dislike collectors of the designs!!! I would NEVER point to someone and call them inferior or stupid names for collecting Barber coinage, nor would I condescend to them for their efforts!!! Barber coinage is full of history, and some may find the coin designs wonderful. Good. I'm quite sure that there are ample people who think my ideas about the design of Felix Schlag are full of baloney. Good. It makes the world go around.

Again, I hope that when I finally spring for a Barber coin or two or three,... WAIT! I already have two nickels! They are gorgeous nickels, but I pity the design. 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

wink.gif Hoot

and this another monster lustre coin!!

miss liberty shows the american spirit and the strength and the intergrity of the american dream

miss liberty is not an actual person on the barber coin it is the embodyment of america and this country has helped many immigrants get a better life and this country may not be perfect but it is still the best palce for me to be right now in this crazy world

this is really needed today in this country the embodyment of miss barber strength in character and with a powerful sound work ethic and intergrity

too bad all the non like barber people are missing much!!

oh well that is okie their loss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sincerely michael

Michael,

I believe the poll asked which style do you like, not do you only collect.

I certainly have "both", but just not as “pleased” with the Barber's.

TG

PS Nice Coins

I guess it's fitting that this is my first responce to anothers post here, i am suprised at the one sidedness of the vote but i love both seated and barber coinage when its properly graded, never dipped, and has full unbroken luster. The prettiest barber half i ever saw was a 1892 barber half in an ngc 65 holder at a coin auction in bloomington minnesota in 1989, the coin went for a price so high i didn't have a chance, but i would love to find that coin again some day and am constantley searching auctions and dealer websites for it.

I think , for the most part, both seated and barber coinage if properly graded in mint state is undervalued at current levels and when i'm active in the hobby again, i will continue to pursue them.

Les