• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Burn-like" coloring at 3 & 6 oclock

3 posts in this topic

I wanted to buy a Morgan (AU) today but, it had 2 marks that look like burns (deep metalic blue center and fading rapidly away). One on right side and other on bottom. The dealer thought they were probably from staples in earlier coin holder.

Is anyone familiar with coloring like this and how they affect value.... Otherwise beautiful coin.

Thank you,

Regis

It sounds like corroded spots. They literally could have been caused by spittle, or any stray drops of moisture that contaminated the metal, and led to deterioration. For me, this type of damage (which is really what it is) has a significant detriment to the value. I'd knock off a whole grade in most cases, unless the spots are really obscure and hidden, or at the very edge. In rare cases, they can be dremelled off, but your taking a huge risk that a gaping pimple hole will be left behind, plus that area of the coin would have to be recolored. But I have definitely seen some outstanding conservation jobs like that in NGC and PCGS holders. If it's a rare enough coin, it might be worth a shot, provided the price is right.

James

Thank you James. I'll figure out the conservation + coin cost and then decide. I wouldn't have nerve to take a dremel to it!