• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

General information

2 posts in this topic

I recently began collecting old U.S. coins. How do I know if I'm paying a fair price when I purchase them? Is there a layman's book to read about collecting coins? I was also told that If you purchased a certain number of coins in various denominations and styles that your collection can be worth as much as 20% more than they would be seperately. Is this true.

Garth

• Administrator

A recommended book to pick up if you're interested in US coins is the Redbook (A Guide Book of United States Coins).

While NGC is not involved in the valuation of coins, NumisMedia Fair Market Values are available on the NGC website. NumisMedia is an independent, impartial price guide and is the official price guide of NGC and the Collectors’ Society.

You can access NumisMedia values by clicking on a coin’s date within the online NGC Census Report. Values up to MS/PF60 are provided for free to all users. To view higher grades requires a paid subscription to the Collectors’ Society.

If you want pricing information only, you can subscribe directly to NumisMedia. Please visit numismedia.com for more info.

I suggest that you pos your question about premiums for collections over individual coins in the Numismatic Tangents section of our message board. Perhaps some fellow forum members can shed some light on this question.