• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What you need to know treatment

18 posts in this topic

• Administrator

So I was thinking about a board for these posts, but I wanted to see if that's what everyone wants, AND I think it's important to realize that moving them to a new board might make them less likely to accumulate comments. So I was thinking about locking that forum and letting everyone continue to post the WYNTK posts here, and I'd just move them after they'd run their course. So the new board would be more of an archive kind of thing...

Thoughts?

Hi Arch --

I'm not sure what you mean "locking" the WYNTK "forum." Those threads, as you know, add a lot of substance to the U.S. Coin forum. I'd hate to dilute the U.S. Coin forum by moving the threads elsewhere or by creating a separate forum for them. At the same time, I'd like to see them set apart somehow within the forum so that they are easy to find and don't slip down the list. I'm not sure how you'd accomplish these goals.

Personally, I would love to see them honored with their own section of the boards. I think the quality of the articles has easily been good enough to warrant easy reference through an organized area of the boards.

James

Arch-----CTcollector and I had the idea for these posts and I guess the idea of keeping them initially on the 'Coin Forum' is where they belong. But, after about two weeks, I think putting them in some form of archive appeals to me----somewhere that you could refer to them if you wanted to. If you are looking for say---Charlie's gold article---it could be accessed easily. Bob [supertooth]

• Administrator

We could move them to the polls and FAQs board and sticky them at the top after a several week run? Or maybe after a month?

I think it would be nice to have the more in depth educational threads available together in an archive forum after they've had their run on the main forum, but why lock the threads? I could see not having NEW threads on such a forum, though. Or maybe it's not possible to lock one and not the other confused.gif

Arch-----CTcollector and I had the idea for these posts and I guess the idea of keeping them initially on the 'Coin Forum' is where they belong. But, after about two weeks, I think putting them in some form of archive appeals to me----somewhere that you could refer to them if you wanted to. If you are looking for say---Charlie's gold article---it could be accessed easily. Bob [supertooth]

I agree. Sounds good....

• Administrator
I think it would be nice to have the more in depth educational threads available together in an archive forum after they've had their run on the main forum, but why lock the threads? I could see not having NEW threads on such a forum, though. Or maybe it's not possible to lock one and not the other confused.gif

I can definitely leave them unlocked for further additions. I am now thinking more in terms of not allowing whole new threads in the archive section. You could reply to the ones that get moved there, but not start new ones. It would keep the board from becoming unfocused.

Or we could do nothing. That would be fine too, but all of those great posts would eventually get buried.

Another alternative would be to make a sticky post somewhere that just holds an ongoing list of links to the WYNTK posts as they're created.

I can definitely leave them unlocked for further additions. I am now thinking more in terms of not allowing whole new threads in the archive section. You could reply to the ones that get moved there, but not start new ones. It would keep the board from becoming unfocused.

An archive would be nice that takes the form you mention. There are, however, numerous high-quality threads that have come before and will follow the WYNTK threads that are not entitled "WYNTK." Perhaps you will have to be the arbiter of decision for archiving such threads. Going back through the past threads could be a bit of work, but worthwhile in the end.

Hoot

I believe if you mirrored them into another folder that that would serve a very nice purpose however, I don't think moving them into an archive is especially useful since NGC already has an archive to search.

I like them on this board for at least of couple of weeks then moving them if you need to. Either way, as long as they are easy to find. Example: search for "What you need to know" and having it bring you to all posts.

They are by far some of the best posts to come out of any forum and are very informative. I know I'll be referring to them many times over the next few years.

I've said it before but thanks again Bob and CT for starting this!!

Personally, I would love to see them honored with their own section of the boards. I think the quality of the articles has easily been good enough to warrant easy reference through an organized area of the boards.

James

I agree with this. After they have run their course, move them to a WYNYK dedicated section. But, they shouldn't be locked since there is always room for more input.