• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Latest look at dirt lumps

9 posts in this topic

Here are shots of the best dirt lumps I have. The year of soaking in olive oil only made them marginally cleaner.

Can anyone identify any of them?

ancients_001.jpg

ancients_002.jpg

Be thankful you only have a handfull of them. foreheadslap.gif

I think I have 31 others, but these are the only ones with clear designs left on them. I have 5 others that are so encrusted with sand and dirt that almost a year in olive oil and repeated attacks with toothpicks haven't been able to remove the grit. Others are so smooth that the dirt removal just left me with a small bronze disc. frustrated.gif

Rock tumbler full of aquarium gravel...or electrolysis.

Tough one to call on those. Man, that lot of coins really sucked big TJs. The last coin, on the right, is Islamic, I'm guessing 1100 AD or so. I'm fairly certain the other 3 are roman, 100 BC - 200 AD, but I'm not sure.

Tough one to call on those. Man, that lot of coins really sucked big TJs. The last coin, on the right, is Islamic, I'm guessing 1100 AD or so. I'm fairly certain the other 3 are roman, 100 BC - 200 AD, but I'm not sure.

One of my cats coulda guessed that much.

The second from the left is supposed to be Greek. If I had a microscope or a camera with a really good macro function, I could probably get a shot of the -script on the reverse. confused-smiley-013.gif

Did you notice the Islamic one has a fleur-de-lys on it? What's the French connection with this coin?