• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grade me 1795 halfcent and i beg be gentle with this overexposed photo!!

13 posts in this topic

now in hand the coin is average plus surfaces close to choice and remember surface preservation is essential when grading these early copper coins the little half sisters to their larger brother large cent cousins see you keeps it all in the family 27_laughing.gif

and the coin has not been messed with or cleaned it is an original surfaced coin just honest wear but again remember that the coin has the two most important elements IN MY OPINION 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gifshy.gif great surface presevvation and superb eye appeal for the usually marked up and corroded porour lower grade 1795 half cents

and yes the coin is slightly off center maybe 3% 893scratchchin-thumb.gif and this might bother some but overall for the choice planchet and surface preservation and above average eye appeal of the coin which is rare to find in any grade of these let alone below a fine it is one amazing coin

if i do say so myself and i do 27_laughing.gif

BUT IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT I THINK 893scratchchin-thumb.gif TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK AS FOR GRADE AND YOUR DESCRIPTION OF THIS COIN 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

also it is a plain edge no pole

also please rate the variety cohen number if you dare devil.gif and rarity rating

so for me i grade it choice xf 893whatthe.gif in terms of surface preservation hail.gif which is of course the utmost of importance and in terms of eye appeal also choice xf(worship) insane.gif

but if i had to put one number on it if i was a grader at ngc i would put on it ngc vg10

I seriously considered buying that coin myself, michael.

I agree with your assessment of it.

Interesting trick of the light that makes the obverse devices look incused.

I fear the dreaded BB if you send it to NGC. Don't get me wrong. I love the coin. I would personally grade it VG-6 myself. I believe there may be some scratches on the obverse and some smaller ones on the reverse that will put it in the BB. Just my opinion though.

Greg

VG8.....agree with Grumps about the potential for it to BB........but I don't think it deserves to be at all.......just thinking of the light scratch on my CBH......which isn't any worse than this coin and it's in a net graded holder so....who knows anymore confused-smiley-013.gif

I fear the dreaded BB if you send it to NGC. Don't get me wrong. I love the coin. I would personally grade it VG-6 myself. I believe there may be some scratches on the obverse and some smaller ones on the reverse that will put it in the BB. Just my opinion though.

Greg

That coin is actually in a PCGS VG-8 holder.

Edited to add D'oh. foreheadslap.gif

I should probably read the whole thread before I make a comment.