• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think of my latest BARBER QUARTER ?

22 posts in this topic

It looks like it could be real,to me I can see a "bleeding" of the tone from the rim inwards,eventhough there's no uniformity to it.

Is it a potential purchase or do you already own it?

Rob

Had me going for awhile. The bag straitions are a nice touch! Also the colors and periphery patterns are in line for Barber coinage. What turned me away was the splotchy toning on the neck. The neck did not ring true in consistancy for toning on a coin of that series.

But what do I know (after 45 years, I still am learning)? It could still be a righteous coin. There is a lot of toned Barber AU coins out there (particularly Half Dollars). I suspect that they lightly circulated and were later bagged for storage or they were mishandled by some earlier collector.

The splotchy blue seems unnatural on a silver coin. Usually blue occurs evenly in a concentric pattern, even if partial. The coin has the appearance of a cooked piece, but I'm sure there are other ways to gain the effect.

Hoot

Rob

It's mine, bought it a few days ago for AU money at a local (reputable) dealer. What made me think it's real is the textile print. Also, in real life, it's more subdued. In fact, as you roll it around in the light, the coin will look golden, then blue and a little red. However, I am not an expert on toned coins by any stretch! The dealer said that the toning doesn't seem to be hiding old cleanings or problems, and my thought upon buying it was: who'd risk ruining a $100 coin to AT it? I mean, a $15 BU Morgan is one thing... grin.gif

I might have passed on this one.

It doesn't "feel" right.

But as it has been said: If you be happy, then who cares what anyone else thinks.

Bodybag

Is there any hairlines on it?

Also from a previous response about textile toning, that also crossed my mind, but again when I saw the reverse it still look's suspect.

Are you gonna submit the coin.

Rob

Rob

It's mine, bought it a few days ago for AU money at a local (reputable) dealer. What made me think it's real is the textile print. Also, in real life, it's more subdued. In fact, as you roll it around in the light, the coin will look golden, then blue and a little red. However, I am not an expert on toned coins by any stretch! The dealer said that the toning doesn't seem to be hiding old cleanings or problems, and my thought upon buying it was: who'd risk ruining a $100 coin to AT it? I mean, a $15 BU Morgan is one thing... grin.gif

Someone trying to make an average coin look beautifully toned might want to AT it so they could make more money on it. That is, after all, what AT'ing is all about smirk.gif. Without seeing it in person, I can't be certain, but, in the pictures, the toning doen't look right.

i would need to see this coin in person to be sure

but for me from the scans

it is AT to meflamed.gif

and also a coin with negative eye appeal 893naughty-thumb.gif

what a terrible way to ruin an otherwise REALLY good coin! 893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893whatthe.gif

sincerely michael shy.gif

I'm sorry, but, I don't like it at all. The coin is screaming AT to me from the images. It neither looks attractive nor original. I would have run away from it. The surfaces have been played with. In the image, what you are mentioning might be textile patterning, looks like a partial fingerprint to me.

Whomever did this did so to increase the sale price after the manipulation. This is why most all AT is done. Sorry to be so honest.

Thanks for all the responses. If someone AT'd the coin to get more money for it, it didn't work, as I paid a fair AU price for it.

I seem to be drawn to controversial coins, see User Name grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

If, indeed, your coin is AT, then there is another way to interpret your paying fair AU money for it. In this alternate interpretation your coin likely has some sort of damage that is being hidden by the toning. Therefore, if it remained untoned it would likely not have received fair AU money. So, the person who manipulated the coin would get more money for it than if it were left alone.

In truth, I have never held your coin in hand so I cannot make absolute statements about it. I am just writing from years of experience in this niche market.

If, indeed, your coin is AT, then there is another way to interpret your paying fair AU money for it. In this alternate interpretation your coin likely has some sort of damage that is being hidden by the toning. Therefore, if it remained untoned it would likely not have received fair AU money. So, the person who manipulated the coin would get more money for it than if it were left alone.

In truth, I have never held your coin in hand so I cannot make absolute statements about it. I am just writing from years of experience in this niche market.

It could also be that the coin has already changed hands for the extra premium and has since been sold for less money to someone else. There is no way to tell how long the coin has been AT, if it is, and how many times the coin has changed hands.

...In this alternate interpretation your coin likely has some sort of damage that is being hidden by the toning.... .

The dealer inspected the coin with a glass and said specifically "the toning doesn't seem to be hiding any cleanings". Of course, that's far from an unbiased opinion, but he is a reputable dealer. 893whatthe.gif

Would ANACS slab this coin and net grade it if it were AT?

Yes, ANACS will slab a coin if they believe it to be AT. They will net grade the coin and the holder will say either "Questionable Toning" or "Artificial Toning", I forget which they use. If I had to take one guess I would think they come right out and state "Artificial Toning".