• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FIVE DOLLAR NICKEL $ CRACK?

5 posts in this topic

Hey,

Is this some new variety? Is this a five cent coin or a five dollar coin?

Sorry,

I just listed it on EBAY. Here is a picture if you want to see it.

I just posted it here if someone can tell me if it would be considered a new variety?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3025071085&category=524&rd=1

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS insane.gifacclaim.gif

There isn't anything new about your nickel. It is just lightning striking the dome. Or in your case someone is on the dome. insane.gif

Just your average die crack in which the only real interest is the fact it's going through the mintmark. According to Alan Herbert's book on identifying and pricing Errors and Varieties, it'd rate about 10 cents to $1 extra in value. The Obverse image is not clear enough to determine if it is due to corrosion or a "rusted die" as claimed, but my guess tends toward corrosion.

I'd value the piece at most $2 according to price guides and Alan's book.

That's my personal take on the piece

Thanks Dermott,

It looked like a wierd one to me. You would think such an error would be worth a whole lot more since the denomination of the coin is in question here with this mistake. No mistaking this coin as a error Banknote.

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS insane.gifmakepoint.gifrantpost.gif

The denomination of the coin was never in question, youre sanity is the only thing in question here. A small raised area on a coin does not suddenly increase its face value 10,000%! Technically, it is a variety, but it is not significant enough for anyone except you to care about.