• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I AM NEW, I NEED ADVICE ABOUT CLEANING COINS

14 posts in this topic

Hi all, first I would like to thank you for taking the time to view my question:

I HAVE READ NUMEROUS PUBLICATIONS AND BOOKS, LOOKING FOR ADVICE ON COIN CLEANING. THEY ARE ALL VERY VAGUE ABOUT THE SUBJECT, COMMONLY REFFERING TO CLEANING AS "DIPPING", BUT GIVE NO SPECIFICS. I AM WONDERING WHAT IS THE BEST CLEANING AGENTS/PRODUCTS TO USE ON SILVER, AND NICKEL THAT WILL NOT CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE CONDITION OF THE COIN? I AM ONLY LOOKING TO REMOVE DIRT BUILD-UP AROUND NUMBERS AND LETTERS. WHAT TYPE OF CLOTH CAN I USE TO SAFELY WIPE THE COIN [TERRY CLOTH, Q-TIP, ETC]?

Thanks again for your answers and feedbacks.

Dave confused.gif

Unless you have significant experience dipping coins, I would suggest that you NOT attempt this. Dipping the coin can significantly reduce the value, if not performed correctly. For something like 15 bucks you can send the coin to NCS and they will do conservation on the coin without causing damage.

Phil

Dave,

There is no good way to answer this but for me to say that you scare me with your question.

If you must do some ``cleaning,'' you must first practice with cheap coins. Second, whatever you do, you MUST NOT cause any physical or chemical abrasion to the coin's surfaces.

That means no light amount of wiping is good for the coin. That is physical abrasion, even if you cannot see it with your eyes.

Also, you cannot use cleanser, polish, baking soda, acid or even soap. Those products will cause chemical abrasion.

If your coin is truly just dirty, as opposed to being toned, then you can simply use water with perhaps a very small amount of liquid soap. Make the water hot. Put the solution in a container that will not scratch the coin in way imaginable. (I use a smooth glass dish.)

Put the coin in the solution and let it sit for quite some time. You may want to hold the coin by the edge with your fingers and swirl the coin around for a bit to try to dislodge any dirt particles.

You can also use a Q-tip and try to nudge more dirt off the coin. Do NOT use the Q-tip against the coin. Only against the dirt!!!

When you feel you've done as much as you can, rinse the coin off with lots of water. (You don't want to leave a soapy film on the coin.)

To try, use a soft cloth or facial tissue and PAT DRY. Do not rub.

EVP

PS There are exceptions to my warnings above, but you have to be an expert to able to deal with those exceptions properly.

I have found that a 50/50 solution of Ammonia and water used in a squirt bottle gets dirt and most grime off of lower grade coins. Every once in awhile I will use a weaker solution on a inexpensive MS coin. Never would I attempt cleaning or removing Tone from a High Priced Coin.

That is why NCS is with us now. Try them, they have gave me Excellent Results on three coins that have been sent to them. Actually not to them but to NGC for appearance review and I'm guessing they end up at the NCS portion of the company.

Ken

Acetone from a hardware store may be the safest dip for a coin. But not safest for you as acetone is highly flammable. Be careful if you use it. A rinse in distilled water after the acetone dip is advisable then pat, not wipe, the coin dry. Using a hair dryer is even better.

And follow above advice about trying it on lower end coins. For ancient or other buried coin finds a soaking in olive oil will loosen the crud but it could take days or even weeks depending on how bad it is. For higher end coins by all means try NCS.

I recently bought a collectino which included a number of old Whitman folders that had been in storage for 40 years. The man who owned them had put masking tape over every coin in several of the folders with a price written on the tape.

Any advice on how to get this off? I tried nail polish remover as an experiment on some of the common coins, but it doesn't seem to do a very good job. Perhaps I need to soak them for several days. Any advice will be appreciated.

There is a book available from the ANA: Cleaning and Preservation of Coins and Medals, Sanford J. Durst Numismatic Publications. It has many insights into cleaning coins and medals of various composition.

All the advice above regarding NCS and home techniques should be well heeded. By the way, to EVP's advice on soap I will add that it must be dilute and mild soap, as strong soaps and detergents will have a polishing effect on many coins and can remove toning.

Hoot

You can also try soaking in mineral oil, it may take a week or so, but the goo from tape and dirt/debris should eventually lift off with a rinse in water. Always monitor your coinage while soaking.

Check their Website all the info should be available there.

Saw there web site - before and after looked nice. How do grading services grade coins that have had this process done?

How do grading services grade coins that have had this process done?

I believe NCS will submit the coin straight to NGC upon request, I am not positive of this though. NCS does the type of restoration (professionally) that is nondestructive, so NCS restoration should have no negative impact on grading. To the contrary it may well have a positive impact.

Phil