• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Check your proof sets...

27 posts in this topic

Scott, it would be nice if NGC would give these Mint Errors separate classifications in the Census Report. The Kennedy 50c on my sig line is grouped with all other 2001-D MS64, but to my knowledge there are only two in existence. If you are going to try to sell NGC's services for these errors, don't you think it would be beneficial to give the buying public more than just a plastic case?

Chris

Scott,

All the mint needs to do is hire me to solve the poor QC problem. I'd spot those defects from outerspace.How could they let these get by???

Enough with the wise CRACKS around here already!!!

Aw shucks, I guess I'll just have to find another place to have some fun!!!

Chris

If I hear one more comment on the "[embarrassing lack of self control] Minuteman" quarter of the "Astronaut With Dung on His Shoe" quarter, I'm going to scream! 893censored-thumb.gif

It's a good thing errorist only likes die cracks. If he had my 2005 KS Proof 25c it would probably be named "Ain't that a kick in the arse".

1719622-IMG_0398.JPG1719622-IMG_0399.JPG

Chris

1719622-IMG_0399.JPG.d8cc1d0fa2bd7bfd8bf723708910f235.JPG

What is that a die gouge?

I'm not sure what caused the damage, but it is certain that the die was damaged before it was finished. Notice how the frosted surface on the device is uniform with no breaks. That could only happen if the die was damaged during the production process. I loaned this set to JT Stanton at FUN in January, and he researched it for 6-8 weeks but came up with nothing. There have only been three of these reported since the release of the 2005 set. I had two of them (one went to a friend), and the third was reported to Coin World about November, 2005. No other specimens have been reported since then.

I still haven't decided if I should crack the KS quarter and have it graded and attributed separately or submit the entire set for a multi-holder.

Chris

Lone it to Fred Weinberg or Ken Potter! I would be very interested in what they say about it??? I bet it is a die chip or gouge.

It is my understanding that JT conferred with them and several others about it. It's a gouge of some kind that was caused by a tool or something fairly heavy. It's definitely not a die chip. Otherwise, there would be a break in the frosted cameo.

Chris

Perhaps, they dropped the die on something very hard!

Whether it was a die or a tool, they dropped the ball. That's for sure! But, I won't complain.

Chris

PS. By the way, errorist, where have you been hiding?

Lone it to Fred Weinberg or Ken Potter! I would be very interested in what they say about it??? I bet it is a die chip or gouge.

It is my understanding that JT conferred with them and several others about it. It's a gouge of some kind that was caused by a tool or something fairly heavy. It's definitely not a die chip. Otherwise, there would be a break in the frosted cameo.

Chris

Perhaps, a chip occured and then they frosted the surface of the die and missed it?

Then that would mean you would get a frosted chip?? Almost sounds like Kellogs Frosted Flakes!! Sounds Great! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif