• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Here's another, "Guess the grade!

13 posts in this topic

I will say MS 64 Full Steps 5.0 Nice coin smile.gif but the 2 marks on the back limit the grade...

That's a very good assessment! The steps are nicely presentable but the steps have a small nick that cross the 2nd, 3rd and 4th steps.

I've added a few more close-up pictures!

http://spaces.msn.com/lestroup/

Leo

Nice little slide show, Leo. I'd agree with something in the 63-64 range, although I've seen such nickels in 66 holders and with FS designations. Could be anything in that range according to the TPGs.

Hoot

I know this will be a crazy guess, but I'll say MS-67 893whatthe.gif.

It's just that I think it's an awfully nice coin for the date.

By the way, I like "guess the grade" posts.... 893applaud-thumb.gif

James

I know this will be a crazy guess, but I'll say MS-67 893whatthe.gif.

It's just that I think it's an awfully nice coin for the date.

By the way, I like "guess the grade" posts.... 893applaud-thumb.gif

James

Hi James

Did you look at the pictures? The scratches, nicks and the weak strike areas all say the coin ought to grade considerably lower. For a better question, what would you think the coin is worth? And with the nick in the steps, the odds are aganst a FS designation. What would you pay for such a nickel with all the noted problems?

Leo

Nice little slide show, Leo. I'd agree with something in the 63-64 range, although I've seen such nickels in 66 holders and with FS designations. Could be anything in that range according to the TPGs.

Hoot

Thank you and yes, the coin does have enough notable problems to grade in the MS63-64 range. How much would you value this coin?

Leo

with that being said.... FS should not be on the slab... but is it? I still like MS 64

If you could see the great eye appeal of this coin would you give your grade an extra point and go with a MS65 grade?

Also, in light of the FS designation, the soft hair and window details would precluded such a designation whether the nick was there or not but many Jefferson nickel collectors have failed to see it that way.

Leo

I would have to see the coin in hand to go any higher than MS 64... but if it is a true MS 65 then congrats smile.gif

Bruce,

I like the coin but it grades at best MS65. IMO the coin has a value of about $30. The coin was graded MS67 and it resides in one of NGC's older holders. Does anyone know if NGC's grade guarantee apply here? The coin certainly grades in the MS64-65 range. At least, this is what I grade the coin, MS64 plus one point for it's eye appeal. This coin can not grade MS67 with all the problems it has!

Leo

Leo, are you saying that my initial guess of MS-67 is correct confused.gif?

I do think it grades MS-67 - WITH all the tiny nicks you see on it (though I can't speak to the "full-steps" issue - not my realm of knowledge). This is perfectly in line with what I see graded at the MS-66 - MS-67 level today, and the unusually attractive toning either tacks on a point, or solidifies a 67 being assigned.

In my humble, worthless opinion, NGC's grade is consistent and accurate for this coin.

Value? I'll guess $30 to $50, if not more.

James

Leo, are you saying that my initial guess of MS-67 is correct confused.gif?

I do think it grades MS-67 - WITH all the tiny nicks you see on it (though I can't speak to the "full-steps" issue - not my realm of knowledge). This is perfectly in line with what I see graded at the MS-66 - MS-67 level today, and the unusually attractive toning either tacks on a point, or solidifies a 67 being assigned.

In my humble, worthless opinion, NGC's grade is consistent and accurate for this coin.

Value? I'll guess $30 to $50, if not more.

James

Hi James

Do you have the NGC grading standards, please direct me to where I can find them.

The following ANA and PCGS MS67 descriptions do not apply to the 1951-D in question.

A. N. A. MS63--Mint luster may be slightly impaired. Numerous small contact marks, and a few scattered heavy marks or defects may be seen. Small hairlines are visible without magnification. Several detracting scuff marks or defects may be present throughout the design or in the fields. The general quality is about average, but overall the coin is rather attractive. Copper pieces may be darkened or dull. Color should be designated.

PCGS MS-63 This is for "Mint State" (the grade) and "63" (the numerical designation of that grade). The equivalent of "choice" or "Choice BU" from the days before numerical grading was prevalent. This grade is usually found with clean fields and distracting marks or hairlines on the devices OR clean devices with distracting marks or hairlines in the fields. The strike and luster can range from mediocre to excellent.

A. N. A. MS64--Has at least average luster and strike for the type. Several small contact marks in groups, as well as one or two moderately heavy marks may be present. One or two small patches of hairlines may show under low magnification. Noticeable light scuff marks or defects might be seen within the design or in the field. Attractive overall quality with a pleasing eye appeal. Copper coins may be slightly dull. Color should be designated.

PCGS MS-64 This is for "Mint State" (the grade) and "64" (the numerical designation of that grade). This grade is also called "Borderline Gem" at times, as well as "Very Choice BU." There will be no more than a couple of significant marks or, possibly, a number of light abrasions. The overall visual impact of the coin will be positive. The strike will range from average to full and the luster breaks will be minimal.

A. N. A. MS65--Shows an attractive high quality of luster and strike for the date and mint. A few small scattered contact marks may be present, and one or two small patches of hairlines may show under magnification. Noticeable light scuff marks on the high points of the design. Overall quality is above average and overall eye appeal is very pleasing. Copper coins have full luster with original or darkened color as designated.

PCGS MS-65 This is for "Mint State" (the grade) and "65" (the numerical designation of that grade). This grade is also called "Gem" or "Gem Mint State" or "Gem BU." There may be scattered marks, hairlines or other defects, but they will be minor. Any spots on copper coins will also be minor. The coin must be well struck with positive (average or better) eye appeal. This is a NICE coin!

A. N. A. MS66--Must have above average quality of strike and full original mint luster, with no more than two or three minor but noticeable contact marks. A few very light hairlines may show under magnification, or there may be one or two light scuff marks showing on frosted surfaces or in the field. The eye appeal must be above average and very pleasing for the date and mint. Copper coins display full original or lightly toned color as designated.

PCGS MS-66 This is for "Mint State" (the grade) and "66" (the numerical designation of that grade). This is not only a Gem-quality coin, but the eye appeal ranges from "above average" to "superb." The luster is usually far above average, and any toning can not impede the luster in any significant way. This is an extra-nice coin.

See Also -- Mint State

A. N. A. MS67--Has full original luster and sharp strike for date and mint. May have three or four very small contact marks and one more noticeable but not detracting mark. On comparable coins, one or two small single hairlines may show under magnification, or one or two partially hidden scuff marks or flaws may be present. Eye appeal is exceptional. Copper coins have lustrous original color.

PCGS MS-67 This is for "Mint State" (the grade) and "67" (the numerical designation of that grade). A superb-quality coin! Any abrasions are extremely light and do not detract from the coin’s beauty in any way. The strike is extremely sharp (or full) and the luster is outstanding. This is a spectacular coin!

See Also -- Mint State

Leo