• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a year set or a small run of coins....

77 posts in this topic

Here is a 1944 P D and S Set of Quarters. MS 65, MS 66, MS 66. Look at the originality! I somehow messed the reverse shot of the 1944 S up, but you get the idea.... post away smile.gif

1944ds.jpg

Nice luster, and some of them have full steps, ergo candidates for submission.

The thing is, I like them in the Capitol holder.

That little set was a bonus when I bought an entire coin collection at an estate sale because of the slabbed Morgans that the collection included.

P.S., those are some GREAT quarters, Bruce! Thanks for posting them.

Those are the 1944's out of my high grade QTR set... I also like the capitol plastic holder... thats what my qtrs sit in..... looks very nice in presentation The set is from 1932 to 1964

Those are the 1944's out of my high grade QTR set... I also like the capitol plastic holder... thats what my qtrs sit in..... looks very nice in presentation The set is from 1932 to 1964

I'd love to see more of your high-grade Wasington set! I'm sure you've posted it before, but I haven't seen it, being new to the forum.

Nice coins, Bruce! smile.gif The S-mint quarters from 1950-1952 have the best, thickest and most wild luster in this series. They are always cool to look at.

Here are the obverses of three nice DBHs.

aI1801P30.jpg

aI1802N45.jpg

aI1805P30.jpg

Bashlow Continental Currency Dollar restrikes from the original dies and hubs from the famous Dickeson copy.

August 1962 Numismatic Scrapbook advertisement.

1161290-NumismaticScrapbookAdvertisement.jpg1161291-NumismaticScrapbookAdvertisementprices.jpg

Right on the heels of its enormously successful 2nd restrike of the CONFEDERATE CENT from Robert Lovett's original dies, the Robert Bashlow Company takes great satisfaction in announcing the final series of FIRST RESTRIKES of Dickeson's copy of the CONTINENTAL CURRENCY DOLLAR.

The original dies were prepared by M. S. Dickeson for the Centennial of American Independence in 1876. The historically significant Continental Currency Dollar, made from these dies, is mentioned on page 35 of the "Guidebood", and on page 12 of "Struck Copies of Early American Coins" by Richard D. Kenney--tesifying to the numismatic importance of this valuable issue.

Prior to Mr. Bashlow's purchase of the original Dickeson dies, 7200 specimens had been struck in pewter. The original owners have sold this entire issue. Now, avid collectors and investment-conscious dealers may purchase Dickeson's Continental Dollar in the three metals the Confederate Cent made famouse: SILVER, GOLDINE, AND BRONZE!

The August C. Frank Co. of Philadelphia has struck this entire issue with the same exacting precision and brilliant skill applied to Lovett's Confederate Cent. These Continental Currency Dollars are big, bold and impressive--the silver specimens have more silver than a silver dollar.

Authenticated reports have reached the Robert Bashlow Co., Inc. that the silver restrikes of the Confederate Cent (now completely sold out), first offered by us in January at $7.50, have ALREADY APPRECIATED to as much as $25.00 per restrike. The similarity to the Continental Currency Dollar is obvious. No additional restrikes of the Continental Currency Dollar can be made. The dies have already been donated to the Smithsonian Institution, as in the case of Lovett's original dies.

Note: The silver Continental Currency Dollars are distinguished by a small S on the reverse. We recommend prompt placement of orders to insure delivery, as the demand for these large coins is expected to be very heavy.

This is a restrike done in white metal not offered in the advertisement although some off metals were obviously struck:

1161267-1obv.jpg1161271-1rev.jpg

Silver restrike:

1161273-2obv.jpg1161274-2rev.jpg1161278-2revofS.jpg

Bronze:

1161281-3obv.jpg1161284-3rev.jpg

Goldine:

1161286-4obv.jpg1161288-4rev.jpg

I love that proof Indian, looks to have nice cameo contrast.

Thanks - The Indian is my favorite from the set and in my opinion it is a natural cameo. Below is a shot of the reverse. The set is in older PCGS holders when cameo designations were not as prevalent as they are today - so the cameo designation is not on the holder. Since you brought the cent up, I'll share a story about the acquisition of the set. I was offered the set from a good dealer friend of mine. He correctly figured this would be something I would enjoy owning. He was brokering the set for another dealer/collector and there was a catch. The spread between a non cameo pf-66 1859 cent and a cameo pf-66 1859 cent was something like 100%. The former owner of the set thought the cent if resubmitted would cameo and definitely would get the desigantion if dipped. The pricing to me was contingent on whether or not the cent got the cameo designation (once dipped and resubmitted). Needless to say, I would not have been interested in the coin/set at that point, cameo or not. That didn't matter as the spread was wide enough and the coin was a lock enough, the former owner of the set was going to dip and submit it anyhow, whether I was going to buy the set or not. So long story short, I needed to pay the former owner of the set most of the cameo premium anyhow to keep that coin virgin and in the holder. At the time I wrestled with that idea - but now I am glad I did. Its one of my favorite coins in my collection and it is so original, fresh, and vibrant I don't think I can replace the quality at twice the price I paid.

Anyhow - Bruceswar thanks for starting this post and giving me the opportunity to share the set and the story about the cent....

18591centRev.jpg

Great decision...anyone who would dip that coin and destroy 165+ years of orginality is crazy. The vibrant color is adds alot to that coin, and it would be lost in a dip.

Beautiful coins CT. thumbsup2.gif

Here is your icon. I hope you approve that I took the liberty of resizing your pic so that it may work as you avatar without being distorted.

18591centRev.jpg

OK, here is a full year from the 1900s, 1910s and 1920s, all available varieties of double eagle (standard varieties, no errors).

1900s:

1909p.jpg

1909d.jpg

1909s.jpg

190908.jpg

1910s:

1916s.jpg

1920s:

1922p.jpg

1922s.jpg

I love that proof Indian, looks to have nice cameo contrast.

I agree and noticed that when I checked out your registry set a couple of weeks ago. I think that I sent a comment to you commenting how exceptional this coin is!!!! thumbsup2.gif