• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A pretty nice modern.

15 posts in this topic

Just came home today, and I didn't have time to image the coin properly, but I was really pleased with the result. This has been a pretty illusive coin. NGC pop zero till yesterday. I'm smiling. This one is blessed with the best shield I've ever seen on a SMS coin. Looking at my attempted close-up, there is bad reflection from the holder. I'll get better pics tonight. laugh.gif

66-1.jpg

66-2.jpg

Very purty... I'll give you an old hubcap off a 1979 chevy caprice for it. 893applaud-thumb.gif

TRUTH

I imagine you could offer the WHOLE CAR and the deal would be passed on!

You're right about the SHIELD. That is the general weakness on these SMS's. You will find, sometimes, a nice CAM obverse, but the reverse will kill the coin.

Great find!

What is the history on this one?

All I can say is WOW!!! grin.gif That is a gorgeous SMS Kennedy. I have seen some great ones in my time but just from the pics it looks amazing. I sure would not mind to hold this in my hand. For modern coins I sure do like the sms years. They are interesting. Great find. So where did you come across this monster 893crossfingers-thumb.gifgrin.gif

Thanks guys. It was part of a raw collection, and I bought the collection for this coin. I loved it. I'm glad the graders did too. I really appreciate their boldness with the 68. I believe it is very solid for the grade, but NGC had not graded any SMS half above 67, so I was holding my breath.

Very nice coin Don. I have looked through many many SMS sets and have not ONCE found a coin I'd call cameo, let alone UCAM. Great find!

Isn't it a wonderful feeling to have a great coin graded properly!!! cloud9.gif

Hoot

Don,

That coin is a monster! sumo.gif

I have never seen an SMS coin that comes close to it. I don't know what you paid for that collection, but it looks like you made a good decision buying it. acclaim.gif

John

As a 1966 half dollar it is likely unimprovable. I've seen several SMS coins which would top it in quality and a couple that would likely top it in price.

Thanks guys. It was part of a raw collection, and I bought the collection for this coin. I loved it. I'm glad the graders did too. I really appreciate their boldness with the 68. I believe it is very solid for the grade, but NGC had not graded any SMS half above 67, so I was holding my breath.

Hi Don

Just out of curosity, what kept it out of a 69 or 70 holder? Do you plan on rolling it a couple more times to see what else it could make?

Leo

Thank guys for the commentary. It was an exciting coin for me. Leo, it has a tiny tick on the obverse around 4:00, and a blemish after the A in America on the reverse. 68 is IMO the correct grade. All in all it was a superb invoice, and I agree with all the grades given. My 50 proof Washington was also on that invoice, and it was a maybe cam. It went PR67 * (no cam). Pretty close, and I like that assessment better than I would have a Cam designation. As a buyer, I'd have probably questioned the field frost.

Sweet!! I like it.. but.... wheres the rest of um???

mike

------------------------

dont forget! collect proof sets!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Wow, that's a great coin.

Has everyone seen the pop 1 1964 NGC PR69 UCAM Accented Hair Kenney Half on ebay right now? It looks like a really nice coin.