• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Doesn't The USA Type Set, Proofs & Non-Proofs

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

These have their own type sets. Remember, all type sets are found under the type set heading rather than their respective series headings.

These have their own type sets. Remember, all type sets are found under the type set heading rather than their respective series headings.

I realize that but the 20th Century Type Set, Proofs & Non-Proofs have copper,nickel,silver,clad and gold coins in it but the USA Type Set, Proofs & Non-Proofs contains copper,nickel,silver and clad but gold is excluded and was wondering why?

Gold types are traditionally collected separately from the lesser coins. For example, they are always in separate albums or type set holders. If there's enough interest in a grand type set featuring everything from half cents through double eagles, we can add it.

I’m rather disappointed that there is no place in the type sets for early gold coins (pre 1834). I know that they are scarce and expensive, but so are Proof gold type coins, and they have their slot. Why is early gold overlooked?

This might read as being extremely cynical, Bill, but I believe that early gold is generally overlooked in the Registry sets because there is little potential for marketing in this niche. After all, many of these coins are already slabbed because of their high grade, additionally, there is a relatively limited supply of them. In contrast, there are billions of modern coins that have little intrinsic value once the plastic and paper are stripped away from their slab. Therefore, this segment of the market needs to be catered to in order for the certification services to grow.

There's no conspiracy in place. It's simply a matter of time, and sets are added in order of highest priority. The early gold types will be included as time permits.