• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you protect your raw coins?

27 posts in this topic

............other than with good aim and a gentle trigger squeeze.

I keep my low grade coins in cardboard, middle grades in Whitman's and the higher end stuff in Air-tites.

Anyone ever use the self-sticking cardboard? That's a major drawback to cardboard, the time involved in using them.

I've tried Mylar, but they just seem to be too awkward to store.

I like the Whitman's, if they could be about 1/2 the price I pay, then they might be used to store some of the lower graded coins.

I like the Intercept Shield snap-tights for my great raw material, or if I collect the series, their albums. I also have a fair collection of good looking Jefferson nickels in 2x2 cardboard flips and mylar flips. Coin tubes for the volumes of low-end material that I save for the occasions I partially fill up a Whitman for a new collector I wish to inspire to the hobby.

Hoot

All my [!@#%^&^] coins (which without exaggeration take up over 95% of my collection) I store in one of two plastic bins. I kick or throw these bins out of my way to acess my decent coins which are stored in 2x2 cardboard mylar flips. My very nice coins (or the ones in which I want to protect the surfaces) are stored in airtites; and my "showcase" pieces are in intercept shield holders.

I like the Intercept Shield snap-tights for my great raw material, or if I collect the series, their albums. I also have a fair collection of good looking Jefferson nickels in 2x2 cardboard flips and mylar flips. Coin tubes for the volumes of low-end material that I save for the occasions I partially fill up a Whitman for a new collector I wish to inspire to the hobby.

Hoot

hi Hoot

How are you storing the IS 2x2 snaps to keep them from scratching each other up?

In an experiment, airtites have toned the coins (see attachment).

I carefully use the mylar flips for now but I don't have them sealed.

Leo

Hi Leo - Intercept Shield makes a special box for their 2x2 palstic. In order to keep the coins (holders) from sliding around in that box, I just stuff the rest of the box with a clean cotton rag.

I wrote IS about a yearago asking if they werre going to come up with a special page-type holder for their 2x2 plastic snap-tights, and they replied saying they were working on such a system. To date, no such product as far as I know. It sure would be nice and a great system for creating specialized "albums."

Hoot

Hoot

Bought a dozon and stored them is a 2x2 box and from rubbing against eachother they got marked up. I like the album idea or even a box with slots to separate the holders.

In my last post I forgot to add the attachment about the airtites so here it is. Late last year those coins were brilliant and lustrous but have now developed some light brown film of some sort. I took a toothpick and etched some of the goo off. All I know is, I'm not going that route.

Leo

Leo - Those airtite stored coins are scary. Sorry that happened to you.

I live in a fairly dry and cool climate, so that probably helps, but the IS system, so far, has been great. I like their boxes for slabbed coins too.

Hoot

Intercept sheild for the nice ones, cardboard 2x2 for the rest

mike

------------------

dont forget! collect proof sets!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I either put them in Capital Plastics Set Holders or get them slabbed. In Western Washington, the weather will patina a coin pretty fast if not protected somehow.

Thanks for the replies.

I was starting to think the only way to get folks interested in a post was to put up a pic of a slabbed modern or something to do with an eBay auction.

Anyone familiar with the "Coin World Storage System"? Other than the info in advertising, I can't find anybody that has used (knows about) it. I like the concept.

I've not used the CW storage, but from what I can tell, it looks fairly nice. They have two formats now for creating your own slabs: ANACS format and NGC/PCGS format. The former looks good if you have a few ANACS coins laying around, and then if you want to place a few of you raw coins in slabs of that size too. Similarly, for the other format. Only thing is that they are somewhat spendy, but so are the IS products.

Hoot

Hi everyone

Here's an idea I've been pondering for some time and that is using a Intercept Shield quarter album and a direct fit type (eliminating the black or white ring) airtite for nickels. The quarter album has 192 openings and the dates are simular to the nickels. To have many coins assembled within a nice tidy album with easy access to each nickel for close examination without touching the coin is what I'm after. I could fill close to 3 albums (about 550 nickels including proofs and varieties) with this system. The big drawback is that Airtite does not make a direct fit airtite for nickels and the album pages are not thick enough for the airtites. There's also a problem when adding a coin and having to move every coin down a slot to keep the thing organized. I have located a couple of companies that work with all kinds of acrylics and plastics. I'm realizing that something like this would need to be done on a custumized basis and it looks like it will be a couple of years before it begins to materialize. Sounds like I'm rambling on about nothing again, later.

Leo

Intercept shield (if they truly work) are a real gift to the hobby, in particular, for copper and silver coins (copper more so I think because its such a reactive metal). What we need to do is petition them for different products. They have a suggestion 'box' on their web site. There are lots of ways to store different kinds of coins, and it would be a real boon if intercept shield technology was available in different formats.

I used that feature on Intercept's web site to request that they consider a slab storage box with twenty coin capacity in addition to the current ten. I've neither heard anything back from them nor seen such a product on the market, other than a twenty slab capacity box specifically for ANACS slabs advertised on Brent-Kreuger.

So in my sample of one, it isn't clear to me that the folks at Intercept Shield really want our advice. I mean, how difficult is it to either respond to customers with an email or design an outer box that holds twenty inner containers? Neither is likely a PhD thesis topic.

Unresponsive corporate behavior notwithstanding, I love the Intercept Shield product and use it for all my keeper coins.

Beijim

Don't forget silica gel, which helps to control humidity in the storage environment. I just picked up some of the Hydrosorbent rechargeable units from Brent-Kreuger. They were pretty inexpensive (five bucks each for a small units that handle three cubic feet per unit) and will, I hope, do a good job. What's cool is that, when they become saturated, you pop them into a 300 degree oven for three hours. After that, they're like new and good to go again.

Beijim

An assortment of Dansco and Whitman albums for U.S. collections. 2x2's in pages (in binders) for the World coins. Coin tubes for U.S. extras. And a pair of 60-drawer STACK-ON small parts cabinets for World extras (loose coins sorted by country).

Unresponsive corporate behavior notwithstanding

You're right. They could have at least acknowledged your email.

By the way...does anyone here use moth balls in their coin boxes? This was mentioned in one of Travers' books.

If the raw coins are part of a mint state set I am putting together then I use a Capital Plastics holder for the set. The holders are not inexpensive, however, they make a terrific presentation for the coins. If you are fortunate enough to find the older Capital Plastics holders, you may be able to find the colors that they no longer produce. I have my silver Washington quarter set, my Jefferson War nickel set and my silver Roosevelt dime set in these older holders.

For circulated coinage I use either the Whitman Classic books, the Dansco books or the Library of Coins books.

Lastly, for coins that are not in sets, I always put them in individual Kointains and then put the Kointain, with coin, in a non-PVC flip. I am very surprsed that no one else seems to do this.

Did Capitol Plastics ever make a holder for the double mint sets, or do you have to have them custom made?

At one point Capital Plastics did make an extremely attractive double Mint Set holder but I don't think they do that anymore. You can have them custom make any holder you want, however, they are mighty expensive if you get very creative.

InterceptShield does manufacture such a slab box - it comes with ICG's name on it. I have used these slab boxes for approx 3 years now with great success.

They can be obtained by contacting ICG directly and asking to purchase them - they charge me $6 each.

IS also makes a generic slab box that holds 10 slabs. It fits NGC, PCGS, ICG, ANACS, and SEGS coins. I find them quite convenient.

Hoot

InterceptShield does manufacture such a slab box - it comes with ICG's name on it. I have used these slab boxes for approx 3 years now with great success.

They can be obtained by contacting ICG directly and asking to purchase them - they charge me $6 each.

Thanks for the pointer! Now you mention this, I recall having read something about it in regard to having coins graded at ICG. I think I read that the Intercept Shield slab storage box with 20 slab capacity was an option when ICG ships the coins back to you. I wasn't aware you could purchase them separately, so I'll give ICG a call.

Regards,

Beijim

IS also makes a generic slab box that holds 10 slabs. It fits NGC, PCGS, ICG, ANACS, and SEGS coins. I find them quite convenient.

Hoot,

That's what I've been using as well. I like 'em but keep having to purchase more! That's why I was hoping to find the twenty coin capacity. Cut my habit's frequency in half smirk.gif.

Regards,

Beijim