• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Picked up a nice(?) foreign doller

15 posts in this topic

Shiroh-sama

I sometimes buy large coins so that I can enjoy this hobby after my eyes get old smile.gif

With that money I wanted to buy Japanese trade doller, but there are too many fakes......I've overheared that some in NGC/PCGS holderes are also tooled professionaly.

very nice coin smile.gif its hard to collect trade dollars these days coz there are way too many counterfeits existing... here in the Philippines, you don't know if genuine trade dollars even exists. most of these fakes comes from chinatown in manila... i once fell for this way back when i was still a newbie in the hobby...

I've also heared that some fake Japanese trade dollers and yen coins are very well made......some people call them "super fake" and they sometimes even fool dealers.

By the way, Mr.Oishi......anata nihongo hanasemasu?

Konnichiwa Toyo san. Omedetoo. Joosu no koin desu.

I've also heared that some fake Japanese trade dollers and yen coins are very well made

Indeed they can be! I have one of those fake TDs with the One Yen reverse which is so well made that I need at least a 5x loupe to see the discrepancies when I put the obverse next to a real TD or the reverse next to a real yen, . 9.gif

Of course with a 3-4 gram weight deficiency, they're pretty easy to spot once in hand, which doesn't help the multitude of EBayers who buy up these "bargain" pieces, usually from China. I think I get just a tiny bit more upset with the 893censored-thumb.gif buyers who resell their mistaken purchase without revealing what they really are, than I do with the counterfeiters themselves. frustrated.gif

Speaking of fakes, there was this guy today at my coin club with an expensive 1926 coin from Albania, the one with the charioteer design minted in Rome and he could not make up his mind if it was a fake or not. The balance showed ~25.1 grams, it's supposed to be 25.0 but these balances are not super precise either. So I took it, put it on top of the image that Krause has and noticed that its diameter was 1mm short. Heh. foreheadslap.gif

But there are some wonderful fakes coming out of everywhere these days.

I've also heared that some fake Japanese trade dollers and yen coins are very well made......some people call them "super fake" and they sometimes even fool dealers.

By the way, Mr.Oishi......anata nihongo hanasemasu?

yes.. these so called "super fakes" do exists.. its pretty hard for newbie collectors to distinguish which is which unless they are pretty obvious to be fakes...

anyway... its a Ms. Oishi (Oishigurl).... and no i don't speak japanese coz im not jap 27_laughing.gif

Some people concern about AT doctores, but these "super fakes" might be the biggest threat to this hobby......but then again, if they are good enough to fool everyone, who cares wink.gif(just a joke)

Sorry Ms.Oishi-I took you as a man because most of collectors are male. I also though you were a Japanese because "Oishi" is a common family name in Japan.

You don't like japs? wink.gif

Some people concern about AT doctores, but these "super fakes" might be the biggest threat to this hobby......but then again, if they are good enough to fool everyone, who cares wink.gif(just a joke)

Sorry Ms.Oishi-I took you as a man because most of collectors are male. I also though you were a Japanese because "Oishi" is a common family name in Japan.

You don't like japs? wink.gif

ehehehe no prob... i love japanese its just that i really don't have any idea with the language and writings....

we really need to do our homework to not be fooled by these counterfeiters... i collect mostly lincoln cents but i do fancy a lot of coins that looks interesting... silvers, coppers, nickels are part of my collection.... anyway, my local dealer has some philippine peso notes from the japanese era... i don't collect notes but sometimes i pickup stuffs specially if they are of good condition....

Just curious, is this hobby popular in Philippine?

Here in Japan, coin collecting is basically for old men and I seldom see young people at coin shows. But high grade stuffs are getting scare and expensive.

honestly i don't know... but there is a club similar collector's society which also tends to antique collectors...usually, old coins are used for school projects though "high grade stuffs" are mostly for collectors... most coins that i see being sold by my local dealer are US-Philippines Peso coins dated 1903~1940s... seldom do i see morgan dollars and other silver US coins... but sometimes i get lucky and i pick up some good coins like mercury dimes in MS60+ conditions though that is when i really get lucky coz most of the time, the dealer clean her coins specially if they come in greasy... the problem with my local dealer is that she tends to overprice silver coins specially 1900s US silver coins... she was selling me once a 1900 morgan dollar in VG condition however it was cleaned and holed and used as her pendant for P900 or about $18...IMO, most collectors in the Philippines collect for their value and not for the sake of the hobby... buyers from my local dealer usually buy these coins at bargain prices and within a day or two, sell them for higher price or sometimes sell at ebay...