• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OK - I'm also considering this large cent...

12 posts in this topic

The color and die crack make me believe that it's from the Randall hoard.

Please opine...

I'm going to call Pinnacle tomorrow for more info.

coronet.jpg

coronetrev..jpg

This is a 1818 N-10, an R-1 cent that was a major portion of the Randall Hoard. They commonly come with the late die state crack circling the stars and date of the obverse. Most are weakly struck in stars 4 and 5, but the LDS coins, such as the one you're depicting, can show additional weakness, as yours does.

The amount of Mint red on the coin is impressive, but its not too uncommon for the variety. The spots on the coin are not uncommon, but do distract from the overall attractiveness. The coin would likely market grade in the MS63-64 range, but would grade in the AU range by EAC standards, no higher than MS60 EAC. Not an exceptional example, but certainly not one to ignore. Probably worth in the realm of $650-$750.

Hoot

Yes, definitely a late die state. Note all of the stress lines around the perimeter of the coin. 1818 and 1820 were the most common dates found in the hoard. $695 is reasonable but I would personally prefer a sharper specimen.

Thanks guys. I also thought it was a very weak strike, but I wasn't sure whether that was normal for the date, or if it was a late die state (considering the crack).

I think I'll keep my eyes peeled for a sharper coin.

It's a decent - but not fantastic - representative of the famed Randall Hoard. I'll guess it's a commercial MS-64 and either BN or RB.

I think this coin would be EAC AU-58, possibley even MS-60+ despite the weakness and carbon spots. The verdigris speck below T3 is a bit bothersome, though. I would want the spot removed.

James

I would imagine the coin being a bit darker in-hand than the photo suggests. Personally, I'd pass on this piece, but I have no clue as to your budget or your aesthetic sensibilities.

This coin does not appear to have any wear at all. But it does show the typical weaker strike typical of the N-10 later middle-die-state. The flattened areas that you might be mistaking as wear are seen on ALL examples.

James

Wow James, thanks for that extra work. Much appreciated.

I did call Pinnacle and they told me the coin was darker than the pics.

It's actually in an NGC MS 64 BN holder - market grading to be sure.

And a definite candidate for NCS.

I took a pass on it.

(It's not like Pinnacle doesn't have enough truly eye-popping coins to empty my wallet anyway.)