• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$5,500. paid for a 1940-S Walker NGC MS-64!

56 posts in this topic

HOLY COW!

I'd say no more than $250 for that coin! 893whatthe.gif

bid's $90...

Hayden

I fully agree with you, Hayden. And it is such a very soft strike to boot!

What would you pay for this one:

1150014-1942SWALKEROBVERSE2.jpg

1150014-1942SWALKEROBVERSE2.jpg.8e47e34d78bccb4929dedeb58a8ebdbb.jpg

I suppose the strike is average for that date/MM. The toning is very nice, but if that coin is worth 50x bid then my IHCs are worth 50x also. Any takers out there? smile.gif

The coin clearly looks AT from the picture. However, I just looked at their picture of another monster toned coin and it also looks AT, but I held that coin in my hands and in person it looks nothing like AT. It's just the way they photographed the coins.

The coin itself looks very mark free. In fact, super mark free. I believe this is one of the coins that was from a fresh collection and sent to PCGS just once. No crack and try for a higher grade. Perhaps the coin is very undergraded - even with the flat strike?

That almost hidden baby powder pastel blue coupled with the layout of the other colors are all the 'tells' I need to label this one as questionable.

Great post Hayden!!!! I should say that most all of us are making progress on these AT coins. I spent 3 hours yesterday in Baltimore. Met personally with CTcollector for the first time. Ken is young and bright----plenty of knowledge. We talked about this 40S. I saw it in the catalogue---said I thought it was a definite AT coin. CT had gone one better----said it wreaked AT

So the guys on these boards are doing much better---macrocoin---good job!!! If we continue to all learn together, maybe we can indeed put a dent in their money making endeavors. What gets me is that the Auction people---as well as a lot of major dealers and TPGS are still allowing this to slide by?? Guess money is above ethics?? Sure looks like it. If the new owner of this coin learns that it may be AT, wonder if he will care?? Wonder if 5500 is enough money to make a wealthy person really care?? Or if he will just sell it to another unsuspecting individual? I do a lot of wondering these days.

Keep up the great work guys----Proud of all of you. Maybe we can at least keep this group of NGC chat board fellows in the know---and learning all the time. Good humor here----good knowledge---good friends. Bob [supertooth]

Great post Hayden!!!! I should say that most all of us are making progress on these AT coins. I spent 3 hours yesterday in Baltimore. Met personally with CTcollector for the first time. Ken is young and bright----plenty of knowledge. We talked about this 40S. I saw it in the catalogue---said I thought it was a definite AT coin. CT had gone one better----said it wreaked AT

So the guys on these boards are doing much better---macrocoin---good job!!! If we continue to all learn together, maybe we can indeed put a dent in their money making endeavors. What gets me is that the Auction people---as well as a lot of major dealers and TPGS are still allowing this to slide by?? Guess money is above ethics?? Sure looks like it. If the new owner of this coin learns that it may be AT, wonder if he will care?? Wonder if 5500 is enough money to make a wealthy person really care?? Or if he will just sell it to another unsuspecting individual? I do a lot of wondering these days.

Keep up the great work guys----Proud of all of you. Maybe we can at least keep this group of NGC chat board fellows in the know---and learning all the time. Good humor here----good knowledge---good friends. Bob [supertooth]

Laura bought it and says it's no brainer NT. Next?

I'd then admit I'm possibly wrong.

Laura's got an eye that on her worse day is better than mine on my best.

She also had the advantage of seeing the coin in person vs looking at an image such as we had to do here (outside of a couple other collectors who viewed the coin).

If Laura views a coin and determines the tone/color is NT and she voiced that opinion with her wallet, having bid and won the coin, I'd admit that's good enough for me even with outstanding evidence proving otherwise.

This is what she says.

The 40S-I have never seen another Walker colored as such. The darn thing has electric rainbow colors! Even the best coin doctors can't recreate those colors (they can't do reds).

The 40S-I have never seen another Walker colored as such. The darn thing has electric rainbow colors! Even the best coin doctors can't recreate those colors (they can't do reds).

If Laura says it's NT,it most likely is. ANR is known for their terrible pictures so this coin might just look AT in the pics.

Hayden

If Laura says it's NT,it most likely is. ANR is known for their terrible pictures so this coin might just look AT in the pics.

Hayden

Personally, I just don't know enough to tell. I know that blue is the easiest color to do for the docs .... anytime I see a blue that isn't absolutely electric I'm suspicious these days. But I know that Laura has conversations all the time with the best on the bourse floor and if anyone should know what can and can't be done they should.

ANR is known for their terrible pictures

Where did you get off the bus Hayden? ANR's pis are about the best in the business.

Hoot

Laura bought it and says it's no brainer NT.

Would she have bought it raw if already BBd on submission to both PCGS and NGC? Didn't I read some "rule of thumb" espoused by Laura on buying toned coins . . . something about "if a coin is good enough to fool . . . ." 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Folks----Won't get into an argument with any of you. Except to say that I think the coin is an AT. And that CTcollector did see the coin in hand---and said what he said. My only additional comment is this. Is Laura keeping the coin for herself?? Or is she just going to resell it?? The coin business is mostly buying and then selling at a profit---if you can. Stupid buyers arrive in this hobby every day to be duped by those smarter than they are. Countless examples have been posted on both boards. We will just keep putting the info out there. It will always be a buyer beware market. Bob [supertooth]

Laura bought it and says it's no brainer NT.

Would she have bought it raw if already BBd on submission to both PCGS and NGC? Didn't I read some "rule of thumb" espoused by Laura on buying toned coins . . . something about "if a coin is good enough to fool . . . ." 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Even if the coin is AT, the rule of thumb is, if its that good and its slabbed, buy it!

The strike on that coin is terrible - even for an "S", AND, it looks unquestionably AT to me. I would pay $50 tops for it.

But of course, there are people who are a lot smarter than me that would rather buy one of those in a slab than make one themselves! 27_laughing.gif

James

Folks----Won't get into an argument with any of you. Except to say that I think the coin is an AT. And that CTcollector did see the coin in hand---and said what he said. My only additional comment is this. Is Laura keeping the coin for herself?? Or is she just going to resell it?? The coin business is mostly buying and then selling at a profit---if you can. Stupid buyers arrive in this hobby every day to be duped by those smarter than they are. Countless examples have been posted on both boards. We will just keep putting the info out there. It will always be a buyer beware market. Bob [supertooth]

Exactly what are you insinuating, Bob?

I haven't seen the coin in-hand, but the quality of color from the image makes me think it would look different than the photo makes it appear. However, I cannot give an opinion as to the veracity of the toning from what I have seen.

ANR is known for their terrible pictures

Where did you get off the bus Hayden? ANR's pis are about the best in the business.

Hoot

I would have to disagree with you on that statement Mark,while the pics aren't bad considering that they're a major auction house;they are far from being "the best in the business". Many of their pictures appear to have been taken with the coin blasted with too much light and the exposure up a few too many notches.

Hayden

Even if the coin is AT, the rule of thumb is, if its that good and its slabbed, buy it!

That's it! Thanks for the clarification/correction, stman. I've seen that quote attributed to her, but I've never seen the words in one of her posts. Link?

Edited to Add: Nevermind. I found the thread. In fairness to Laura, it doesn't sound as though she's advocating the "rule of thumb," just acknowledging its existence. In fact, I found another thread where she warns against blithely accepting the legitmacy of toned coins in slabs. She probably should have edited the "rule of thumb" post to make her position clear.

I tried again to link the thread URLs through the UBB codes. Not working. Sorry.

Hello TDN----And Everybody Else----I would hope that in the last few weeks here on these NGC chat boards---that it would have been self evident what the good guys here are trying to do. Those of us who are a little ahead of most in the business of coin collecting are trying to help those who are not so fortunate. We are tired of being stolen from---we are tired of overgraded coins---we are tired of cleaned coins being sold to the YN and others as if they were original---we are tired of coin doctors---we are tired of being lied to---we are tired of dishonest people. So, many of us have banded together and, in our 'What You Need To Know" threads, are trying to help one another from making mistakes. We are trying to make people think before they lay their hard earned money down for coins that MAY NOT be worth what they are being asked to pay for them. In short, we are trying to 'EDUCATE' the coin consumers here on these NGC chat boards. We are trying to make it more difficult for those people who do not give a valued coin for a valued dollar in return. In short, we are sharing our knowledge as best that we can---so that everybody just might be on a little more level playing field. We want people to think---to use their common sense. We want to improve our hobby. We want a lot more---but that pretty much sums it up for now. And, if guys keep wanting the info that we put out---if they keep responding in a positive way, we will continue to give them all the info that we can. We invite anyone with knowledge in an area to participate and we welcome questions and comments after our posts. Hayden started this post. And it, as others have done, has created a lot of response. It is really not important whether this 40S is AT or NT. Personally, as I said earlier, I do believe it is AT. But, it is only one coin. What is important is that we are getting guys to question things and to learn----we hope before they buy. What it has done is to make an awareness come to the forefront---there really are countless AT coins out there in TPGS holders. Make sure that you really do want that coin before you put down your hard earned money for it. If you are not sure, pass on it. Bob [supertooth]

I agree that there are plenty of AT coins in TPG holders. One does indeed need to be careful. Even if it's certified, it should pass one's personal test as well.

In fact, that's how I tend to state my opinion these days if I see something I disagree with - 'it may be AT or it may be NT, but it's not a coin I'd buy for my collection'.