• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT!

8 posts in this topic

I realize this has nothing to do with coins, but I felt I should let anyone who makes travel reservations through Travelocity know. I just received my credit card statement today and there are $1150 in fraudulent charges on it. This amount doesn't include an attempted charge of $779 to a Canadian address that was stopped beforehand.

If you didn't already know, any time there is a charge in excess of $500 that does not seem to fit the purchasing profile of an account, an inquiry is made immediately. In this case, I was notified by the bank card company and they immediately denied the Canadian purchase.

Is it just coincidence that I made airline reservations through Travelocity and a few days later the fraudulent charges began to surface. Is it just coincidence that one of the fraudulent charges was an airline reservation purchased through Travelocity? Is it just another coincidence that CitiBank notified us in December that they were discontinuing the Travelocity Card program? I don't think so!

If any of you are making travel plans, please be careful. There are crooks everywhere.

By the way, does anyone realize how few telephone and online sales companies ask for the security code on the back of your card?

Chris

By the way, does anyone realize how few telephone and online sales companies ask for the security code on the back of your card?

This is what really scares me since these companies require so little to charge your credit card it would be very easy for someone to copy the information on the front of your card and then charge the living daylights out of it.

Hayden

Incredible, Chris! I had my debit Visa hijacked last Valentines for over $1000 as well from some chick in San Bernadino, CA. I haven't been there for over 10 years and am always careful with receipts. Makes you wonder!

My VISA was ripped for (3) airline tickets from Mazatlan on Mexicana Airlines while I was honeymooning in Mazatlan earlier this month. I don't know if the condo timeshare was the problem or the hotel restaurant where I used the card while there. We flew to Mexico via America West not Mexicana on a different credit card.

How many pay your bills, especially credit cards, by check via the mail? With the credit card nr. written in the memo?

Jerry

It's almost pointless paying the credit card account by check anymore since most of the major institutions no longer return the checks. It is easier to pay them online.

My VISA was ripped for (3) airline tickets from Mazatlan on Mexicana Airlines while I was honeymooning in Mazatlan earlier this month. I don't know if the condo timeshare was the problem or the hotel restaurant where I used the card while there. We flew to Mexico via America West not Mexicana on a different credit card.

It is more likely that an employee of the restaurant ripped you off. If the business uses one of the old systems that makes a hard copy of your card information, they would just keep the carbon with the imprint intact. Now, with the newer systems that read the card magnetically, they can buy a pocket-sized reader to "swipe" your card a second time. The reader can store hundreds of different account numbers.

Whenever I use my card at a restaurant, I always make it a point to take the bill to the cashier myself where I can watch what they are doing. And, if they are using an old, hard-copy system, I always take the carbon with my copy.

Chris

Whenever I use my card at a restaurant, I always make it a point to take the bill to the cashier myself where I can watch what they are doing. And, if they are using an old, hard-copy system, I always take the carbon with my copy.

That’s a very good point Chris, it seems I hear a lot of people tell me they’re afraid to shop online because credit card theft.

But they don’t think twice about what’s going on with their card for the five to ten minutes that they let a waitress walk for with it into the kitchen of a restaurant. 893whatthe.gif