• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When is restoration necessary?

46 posts in this topic

Here are the images side by side:

hoots-1804.jpg

You should post this across the street. Tell them it is now in a PCGS AU55 slab. They'll explode. smile.gif

Here are the images side by side:

You should post this across the street. Tell them it is now in a PCGS AU55 slab. They'll explode. smile.gif

It will be Mass Suicide.. thumbsup2.gif

Do you all know what GREATLY impresses me about this thread?

It's that a large group of individuals with varying beliefs, thoughts, and shared opinions, can have a very nice, respectful conversation without turning a thread that has the potential to be very controversial into a flame war.

My hat goes off to each of you fine gentlemen, and thank you !

P.S. I'm still thinking about everyone's comments about the coin. blush.gif

Hoot, I have to admit that the coin looks far nicer at this point in its history than I had anticipated it to look. In fact, you might well call the person who worked on it a true artisan. You and I may disagree on the particulars in this case, but your images would not doubt carry the day through the numismatic community. I thank you for posting them.

Hoot, how did you get rid of the scratches?

I sent it to a person who values coins greatly. He is also an artist and prides himself on coin restoration that returns a coin to as much of a natural form as is possible. Naturally, this is a balancing act. When restoring a coin like this, you have to know in advance that the coin will appear different - altered - when it's all done. You must also decide to take the restoration only so far - you must leave what would naturally appear as circulation damage, and what looks like the commensurate state of wear. Tough to decide. But, between the artist and myself, we decided what to go after and what to leave alone.

I have just had a perverse thought about the whole restoration process of this coin. What if someone originally cut the surfaces of the coin because the coin surfaces had earlier been manipulated by another person who in turn had sold the coin and deceived the person who in turn cut it?

My own feelings on this process are that what Hoot did is perfectly suitable for his collection. It is the unethical and unwary who become the concern in the future.

I have just had a perverse thought about the whole restoration process of this coin. What if someone originally cut the surfaces of the coin because the coin surfaces had earlier been manipulated by another person who in turn had sold the coin and deceived the person who in turn cut it?

insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

This is a fabulous thought.

Hoot