• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great Britain (1377-99) Noble S-1658 - Any Info?

3 posts in this topic

I saw a beautiful coin on Heritage's site, a Great Britain, (1377-99) Noble S-1658. I could not download the photo or I would have posted it here. It's really a nice looking coin but my Standard Catalog of World Gold Coins (5th Edition) does not go back that far. Does anyone here know much about these? History, circulation, rolled / milled, weight, etc? Thanks!

hi.gif Eagle1 is this the coin you were looking at ?

It is a richard II Noble in the style of Henry IV .IVA Escallop on rudder. IVB crescent on rudder (1658)

there are 9 veriation in this hammered coin the avererage price is F-£700 VF-£1450

1694225-1658.jpg

1694225-1658.jpg.64733a69e123ba5f93b17e1dcf7ced03.jpg

If you are really interested and want to read more about it, you could probably buy a reference book from Spinks. If you are a member of the ANA, their library would probably have a copy.

By the way, these coins are really nice and reasonably priced (though not cheap) considering their age and history. Large auctions such as Heritage and Goldberg carry them fairly often and the price of an uncirculated coin is generally in the $3000 to $4000 range if I recall correctly. Northeast Numismatics also has them every once in a while. There is also an identical 1/2 and 1/4 noble which I believe are scarcer but cheaper because the coins are smaller.