• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just got my first graded coin today as a gift. Help me figure this out

13 posts in this topic

customer of mine brings me trinkets and gifts each week. This week he brought me a PCGS 1986 proof 69 DCAM lincoln cent. What is this worth what is the rarity? What does it cost to get one of these graded? I don't know anything about coins I am a comic guy.

1986 or 1986-S ? I just saw a PCGS 86-S DCAM for $12.

Jerry

This coin can only be an 1986-S. Thats the only proofs made that year. They would use RD if it was a 1986 coin.

These coins are often graded under a bulk submission tier where the price of slabbling is significantly discounted relative to the normal submission price.

I almost bought a 1974 proof set today for 15 bucks still in the us mint slab. the coins looked as good as my slabbed PR69. Would that have been an OK deal.

Hi Kris, Here's the listing for proof sets from bible of wholesale coin prices that dealers use.(many will buy at 10% below the bid price and sell about the same over). Proof set prices come out weekly these are about a month old.

gs-proofs.jpg

Honestly, when folks offer me coins like that, I offer a couple of bucks apiece. On a percent-of-value basis, the cost to grade these is MUCH higher than the value of the coin itself.

However, if it satisfies your sensibilities as a collector, then the coin is priceless, and that's what truly matters!

James