• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange surfaces of ASEs

11 posts in this topic

I just got my roll of 2006 ASEs yesterday, and I noticed that every coin had this strange frosting on the surfaces, which almost gave them a painted look on a crescent on the top of the obverse, sort of like the frost on a window in winter. I think it's nice, but I've never seen it before. Any ideas on what could cause this? Here are some photos, hopefully you can see what I'm talking about. confused-smiley-013.gif

2006p1d1.JPG

2006p1d2.JPG

Hey, Jeffries, let met get back to you on that one.............

1141277-give_a_damn_animated.gif

Well, then again, maybe I won't. smirk.gif

hi.gif

I'm not sure it's milky, as I think of proofs (read: brown Ikes) when I think of milky. It reminds me of a frosted window, like a matte finish. And it only appears on the upper edge of the coin on both sides (which is odd given that those would be opposite edges with coin allignment), while the rest of the coin is like a normal eagle from recent years. Maybe these were struck with a poorly polished die?

Hey, Jeffries, let met get back to you on that one.............

1141277-give_a_damn_animated.gif

Well, then again, maybe I won't. smirk.gif

hi.gif

How rude! sign-rantpost.gifsign-offtopic.gifinsane.gif

How rude! sign-rantpost.gifsign-offtopic.gifinsane.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So are you implying I am not a gentleman and impolite?

Just playing, brother. cool.gif

I heard somewhere that there were going to be three different surface finishes for ASE's this year, maybe you got a different one? Don't know, just throwing it out there. I can't tell from the pictures.

Your 2005 seems to have it on the sides, where mine is across the top. My roll of 05s has a uniform finish, and this is the first time I've seen this on any of my ASE, so I thought it odd. Perhaps it's just the batch I got, but either way, it's just 20 oz. of silver, so it's all good.

The above is not a good photo for detail, however the frost does cover the top section as well. The larger image seems to wash the frost out a bit, in hand it looks like the frost is thicker somewhat like steam on the edge of a mirror.

2005ase70003obv5sq.jpg