• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Susan B Anthony Narrow Rim Designation

6 posts in this topic

I have a question about the Narrow Rim designation for the 1979 P Susan B Anthony dollar. What is the difference between a common narrow rim coin and a coin with the narrow rim designation. I noticed that the prices supplied by Numismedia vary greatly between the two.

Bob J confused.gif

For 1979-P SBA dollars there are two obvious hub differences, the Wide Rim, also called the Near Date, and the Narrow Rim, also called the far date. The Wide Rim is currently much scarcer then the Narrow Rim or regular issue. NGC doesn’t establish value on coins and for questions concerning the topic I would turn to the ask Numismedia forum here: http://boards.collectors-society.com/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=numismedia

Jay Turner

NGC Grader and Attributor

Thanks for your response. It was very helpful. Does that mean though that the regular graded 1979 P Susan B Anthony coins could be designated as narrow rim or are they both narrow and wide rim mixed together that were never designated?

Thanks again in advance,

Bob J

As of writing this response NGC has graded 633 1979-P Susan B. Anthony Dollars. Of those 10 have been attributed Narrow Rim, 115 have been attributed Wide Rim, and 508 have no attribution.

Jay Turner

NGC Grader and Attributor

So this means that there is no third or standard rim width, only wide and narrow?

or put another way.

If NGC were to attribue all 79 SBA coins there would only be two attributes, Wide and Narrow?