• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Picked Up A Nice Japanese Yen

9 posts in this topic

This is the first Japanese yen I have owned, even though I like them very much, and it likely is alone in my collection because most of the others I have seen are harshly cleaned. This coin is original and was quite reasonable in price, in my inexperienced opinion. Enjoy! smile.gif

1140147-new-3456.jpg

1140147-new-3456.jpg.ac3cfcf2001a8c12d82ed3b9c3907a63.jpg

That one does have a rather pleasing look. I've encountered similar circumstances, most of the circulated yens are scrubbed nice and white.

Branching your collection out a bit or just a single that caught your eye?

That does have a pleasing look. Oddly, I see more of these in XF-MS than well circulated like yours. In fact, I very rarely see them as circulated as yours. I like it.

Thanks guys. smile.gif I'm not really branching out, I just like to pick up nice, original pieces from time to time. Most of my non-US coinage is early Mexican, but I had been looking for a Japanese yen like this for quite a bit. thumbsup2.gif

That does have a pleasing look. Oddly, I see more of these in XF-MS than well circulated like yours. In fact, I very rarely see them as circulated as yours. I like it.

Yea, verily. The ones I have come across that appear to have circulated well had chopmarks on them. Once they were demonetized in 1895, many were countermarked and sent to Taiwan and other ares under Japanese influence. Since banks no longer kept them as hard money reserves they circulated more than they had before.

Yours is neither countermarked nor chopped, yet it shows years of wear. Was it a pocket piece, perhaps? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Why did Japan demonetize these coins?
It occurred during the shifts back and forth between the gold standard and the silver standard in the late 18th Century. Murky as it is, this Bank of Japan webpage is about as clear an answer as you'll find. Jacobs (Japanese Coinage) hardly mentions it, and Cummings (Modern Japanese Coinage) isn't any clearer. frown.gif

Basically they limited silver to international trade for a while, then changed their minds. yeahok.gif

A similar situation occurred when Germany went off the silver standard in the 1870's. Since talers and other silver coins only had limited legal-tender status (perhaps up to 5 new Reichsmarks), Germany dumped its silver bank reserves as bullion. This, coupled with booming silver production from the Comstock Lode and other sources, led to a huge drop in silver prices. Silver interests hoped the Bland Allison Act would support falling silver prices, but even coining millions of US silver dollars couldn't do the job.

The last ones to leave the silver standard were left holding the bag.