• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

coin environment tracking

2 posts in this topic

Like most collectors I keep all my better stuff in the Safety Deposit box. These are mostly lower value foreign coins [unlike US stuff] but a lot of them are uncs (ranging from ms-62 - 66) from the late 1700's to about 1880. Some of these items were bought in South America & are getting difficult to replace today.

I've bought these boxes of silica gel (1 or 2 lb boxes w/ indicator ) which I try to regenerate every 6 mos or so.

However I was wondering if I should also track the T & humidity in my box. I think museums have these recording things they put in cases - I guess I should find one?

Also it would be difficult to remove oxygen from the box, the only thing I can easily control is the humidity (with the silica gels).

I was asking because I live in a warm humid climate which is more active chemically towards coins

I'm not sure of the value of tracking as you suggest.

Many people feel that storage of coins enclosed in a corrosion intercept environment is ideal altjough sme question the vaslue of this technology. A simple and inexpensive method is to use corrosion intercept lines bags. You can find a number of archival solutions here:

Corrosion Intercept Products