• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brazilian 20K reis 1724-27

3 posts in this topic

Recently I saw another unc 20K reis on Stack's. I thought these items were quite rare but a number of them have been turning up recently. Has there been a hoard found?

Now with the smaller & later 10K & 20K reis of the 1820's -50's these apparently are quite available in unc yet I don't see them too frequently. Are they all in Brazil?

I actively look for mint state coins form the 1800s and have come across a grand total of zero that early from Brazil. I'd grab any I come across in mint state jsut because they're so tough.

As for the 20K how many have you seen recently?

Hi,

Note that the "large" 20K reis I'm referring to were struck in the 1720's. Of course Brazil made later issues in the 1820's - 1900 of decreasing size.

In ms, in the past 2 years I've maybe seen 4 of the 1720 ones in ms and a whole bunch more from the 1800's (1825? & one).

Of this includes some that I just saw in catalog sales.

Unfortunately I've always been outbid on Brazilian gold.