• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recent Purchases

19 posts in this topic

From the Central States Bullet auction. Rainbow rims on obverse, also covering neck, with an untoned head. Rainbow rims on the reverse, shifting into blues, shifting into a golden center.

fc28f7aa.jpgfc28f7a8.jpg

From the TNA annual show, purchased from Adrian Crane. Wonderful strike and preservation on a 199 year old coin.

fc28f789.jpgfc28f787.jpg

Beautiful coins!!! I'm partial to early coppers, so I really like that half cent. (I think I have one of that date!)

I've been "stalking" this very coin for several months. Several months back, I was standing next to Adrian at a coin show while he was raiding a dealers' table, and I was eyeing this Half Cent. Adrian grabbed several of the half cents in the case, including this one. The dealer had four or five extremely nice coppers, grading AU-58 to MS-62, all NGC.

He offered a couple on E-Bay, but not this one. At the TNA show Friday, I walked by his table and saw it in the case. He gave me a great price on the coin and I thought about it for half a second, then starting counting out cash. grin.gif

The nickel has really neat toning. I like it a lot. I am not as tuned to early coppers, but this one has nice strike and color.

Those are wonderful coins Keith. smile.gif I also find the large cent particularly attractive. That Jeff is lovely with the rainbow toning - my favorite on that coin.

I recently cherried a large cent from a dealer who had it raw and for sale as XF45. I simply believed otherwise, bought it, and sent it to NGC. They graded it AU55. The obverse is attached.

Hoot

589a8ae5b2ee4_167113-1827N11AU55NGCobv.jpg.53e1b4ed57c23e577c27d2d082b8d9a9.jpg

And the reverse...

By the way, NGC attributed it as Newcomb-11. I do not have a copy of that text, so if anyone can make a comment on that, I'd appreciate it! blush.gif

Hoot

589a8ae5cea6b_167114-1827N11AU55NGCrev.jpg.e27d85e7115a998c937b509f3c6e7f0c.jpg

HOOT, You've got a good eye and that coin is absolutely AU55++!

A humble suggestion?

Buy MORE raw coins from THAT Dealer! laugh.gif

Thanks guys for all the comments.

Pat, the Half Cent is pretty close in color to the scan. I've looked at about 30 of these in the last several months, and the ones that are lighter in color also tend to have areas of splotchiness or spots and it's harder to get even coloring on them.

I'm like you in that I'd much rather have it just a shade dark than the blotchiness these can be known for.

Also, is it a rotated die or is that just the way you photographed it?

Hoot, that's a beautiful coin. Does it have hard surfaces like the image?

I agree with both of you, Keith and Pat, in that I would much rather find a somewhat dark piece of copper than a lighter one that has those nasty spots on them. That's the way to buy copper!

Tom - The surfaces of that cent are very hard and smooth. No granularity whatsoever, and no mushiness of detail. Truly a beautiful coin.

Spooly! smile.gif Welome back! acclaim.gif You've been missed.

Hoot