• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hayden, I finally got it!

18 posts in this topic

1136629-IMG_0215.JPG1136629-IMG_0214.JPG

Does anyone recall the Pope Pius IX medal with the 3-D reverse that spy88 showed us? Well, I happened across this medal and I just had to have it. It could use a little conservation on the obverse, but I love the reverse. What do you think?

1136629-IMG_0214.JPG.05830e6472a6171543ef328edc74b97e.JPG

I think I saw one of those at the Lakeland show a few weeks ago.........looked just like it 893whatthe.gif

I almost bought it too becuase the price was right thumbsup2.gif

Dang, Chris! Your photo even looks better than the one in the auction! You are doing pretty darn good with that camera!

So what is your method?

Dang, Chris! Your photo even looks better than the one in the auction! You are doing pretty darn good with that camera!

So what is your method?

Right now, I am using the fluorescent bulb lighting in my ceiling fan. The four bulbs are aimed toward the corners of the room, and I have the camera & tripod set up near the center of the room. That's all!

Chris

Well, it's definitely working for ya! Have you tried imaging any toners? What were the results?

Oh, I do remember that beautiful blue-toned French medal that turned out so sweet. So, I guess that I've answered my own question.

Wow! Incredible ! You could put furniture in the Reverse , what ? about 1400 sq ft of storage space in that room there? 3-D is right for that reverse.

Obverse conservation: are you talking about having what looks like some kind of residue removed ? Other than that , the colors really bring the dimensions out for this awsome medal .

Thanks for sharing this one , Chris!

-John smile.gif

Obverse conservation: are you talking about having what looks like some kind of residue removed ?

Yes, and this is another area where I am completely ignorant. I would rather submit it and let the professionals do their job.

Thanks to everyone for the kind remarks!

Chris

That's beautiful, Chris! Don't be shy about sharing some of the history on the medals that you're posting. I'd love to learn more.

That's beautiful, Chris! Don't be shy about sharing some of the history on the medals that you're posting. I'd love to learn more.

Lou, I've been searching for a reference book that will provide background information for the medals and artists. If I wanted a comprehensive works for the 19th & 20th Centuries, it would cost $1500-$2000. Unfortunately, the only reference material I have been able to find is in French. Parlez vous Francaise? (Why did I take Latin in high school!)

This medal is 80mm and weighs 220 grams. On the edge is stamped the "cornucopia" and "BRONZE". The cornucopia indicates that it was produced at the Paris Mint. I believe that the Paris Mint didn't begin using the cornucopia until 1880. I noticed that the edge bears three seams that indicate that this medal was cast, not stamped. This is not surprising when you consider its size and weight.

I believe the inscription on the obverse, "COMPTOIR NATIONAL D'ESCOMPTE DE PARIS", refers to a discount banking institution that was founded in 1848. If someone has a better understanding of the French language, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Chris

Chris is the reverse incuse? Seems so deep.

Ed

Yes, Ed, the "hall" is incuse which, in my opinion, enhances the 3-D effect.

Chris

Chris, I'm always impressed with you spelling and grammar. thumbsup2.gif

Would you tutor Marianne?

Well, if the opportunity every arose then I reckon that you'd be the one tutored, son. wink.gif

Chris, I'm always impressed with you spelling and grammar. thumbsup2.gif

My grandmother got me hooked on crossword puzzles when I was five. Then, she had to hide them from me!

Would you tutor Marianne?

Well, if the opportunity every arose then I reckon that you'd be the one tutored, son. wink.gif

I think she is too old for me, anyway.