• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fingerprint and carbon spot removal

2 posts in this topic

I have a NGC PF64 RD copper having a very distracting fingerprint etched on the obverse. There is also a big carbon spot on the obverse which I would like to either remove or tone down. The coin is not toned, so I am not worried about removing the toning, but I do want to preserve the RD designation and if possible the grade too. Can NCS help out in this?

Can NCS representatives attending a coin show appraise the coin and advice me whether conservation can help since I know you can only commit having the coin in hand. Thanks.

Fingerprints can become etched into the surface. When this occurs, there usally is not much professional conservation can do to help the coin. We would not be able to restore any surfaces. What are commonly referred to as carbon spots can be caused by a number of things some of which can be helped with conservation while others are deep in the planchet and would result in damage if they are to be removed. Adding another complication with your coin is the RED designation. If the evaluators feel that conservation work may be a risk to that designation, it will be deemed a "no conservation" early in the process.

NCS representitives to attend shows. Depending on the show, we may have a representitive who can look at your coin and give a quick informal opinion. Contact NCS Customer Service at ncshelp@ncscoin.com or 866-627-2646 to find out if someone will be able to do this at the show you plan to attend.

Chris, NCS