• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1817 Large Cent

2 posts in this topic

Hello. I have an 1817 large cent that exhibits some alright details and I was wondering if I should send it to NCS for conservation? It's got some rust on it, some green spots (oxidation?), and is in pretty bad shape. It's in a cardboard/mylar 2X2 right now and I want to have it be kept in at least good condition and have it not get any worse. If the grit and the rust and stuff was gone I think that there's a nice G-VG coin under the surface. Will NCS even accept the coin? If so, should I spend the money on them grading it an conserving it? Please tell me what you think. Thanks in advance.

Chad

On a coin such as yours, we likely could remove the green and prevent the coin from becoming worse, but it still would be corroded. The conservation fees are 4% of your declared value with a minimum charge of $20. The coin may not financially be worth sending for conservation, but its value to to you may make it worth the conservation fees.

Chris, NCS