• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Postage to canada

2 posts in this topic

How do you send coins to Canada?

I looked up the usps site and they say:

Restrictions

Coins; banknotes; currency notes; securities payable to bearer; traveler's checks; gold, silver, platinum, manufactured or not; jewelry; and other valuable articles may be sent only in registered letter-post items.

Exceptions:

Coins sent to or from collectors or dealers may be mailed in ordinary (uninsured) parcel post packages.

Then, there's this whole excise tax or duty, I just can't figure out.

Am I right to understand that if you want the coins sent insured that it would have to be registered mail?

I used to send coins to Canada all the time, however, it was a couple of years ago, but I don't think things have changed for OUTGOING mail to Canada.

For items of value, the items do not need to be registered unless you want protection and/or insurance. Using the USPS, I recommend using global priority. I believe it costs around $5 for the small size, gets there quickly and has tracking. If you send a package, or other than first class mail, the item will need to be declared and a green tag will need to be placed on the package stating whether the item is a gift or merchandise. IF you decide to label it merchandise and state a value, the receipient will be charged a GST tax of about 7% of the value. IF you state it is a gift, no GST will be assessed by the Canadian government. However, the Canadian postal authorities do have the right to open packages for inspection. In addition, a registered package from the US to Canada is more secure and insurance can be purchased. However, tracking stops at the Canadian border and often registered packages take quite a while to get to the destination. If the item is not really valuable or you wish to take a chance, send it first class mail, no need for customs declarations.

TRUTH