• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Two of my favorite coin designs of all time

11 posts in this topic

I have to agree with you about the Mexican coin as I have always thought that that piece kicked butt over most other designs. Oddly, I have never embraced the ASG double eagle the way the majority of collectors have.

Always been favorites. I also like the French angels and roosters.

Hoot

I like the French angel too, have one bezeled (forgive me) on a pocketwatch chain

1135423-frenchangelobv2.jpg

1135425-frenchangelrev1.jpg

A beautiful coin, a great history, artistic, intrinsic value and stately:

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity

Hoot

I suppose they are nice despite being French, though I must admit I really have little interest in such small coins!

Hoot

I suppose they are nice despite being French, though I must admit I really have little interest in such small coins!

Good things come in small 'packages'.

Hoot

Good things come in small 'packages'.

True, though when those things are gold, the bigger the better!

I'd agree with Tom on the ASG $20. I just think the mint dabbled too much to make the coin easier to make in production. It was probably Barber who had a nack from screwing up great designs by lowering the relief on most of the new stuff that came in at that time. He pretty much brought the artistry down to the level of his own crapp-tacular designs of the late 19th Century.

jom

Well, our Liberty is fully clothed, but it's interesting that the original design was based on his winged statue of "Victory" seen below. So the double eagle could have been winged much like the 50-peso. I will also admit that Saint-Gaudens did a much better job capturing the flow of motion given the robes and hair on liberty, somthing a scantily clad woman with her hair in a bun might not be capable of!

10_013_380.jpg