• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stacks Northern Bay Collection

37 posts in this topic

Thanks for the explanation Tom. And my apologizes zrlevin, I now understand the context of your deleted posts. Once again Tom T mediates a silly misunderstanding with clear details.

Bigmoose - I sense Stack's images only give collectors a morsel of a clue about quality, especially when it comes to proofs. Thanks for the in person review. You're a tough guy to please so calling some of the Large cent proofs "astonishing" confirms some of the hype about this sale.

Since you own the finest set of toned IH proofs on the planet I know it takes a lot to curl your toes in this particular area. I'd love to know which few IH's from this sale are major bid worthy, in your opinion. Maybe after the auction dust clears you can share that with us.

Or, you can just give us the new cert #'s wink.gif

Thanks for the explanation Tom. And my apologizes zrlevin, I now understand the context of your deleted posts. Once again Tom T mediates a silly misunderstanding with clear details.

Apology Accepted. smile.gif

Also, I was looking at these auctions, and I did not understand their bidding system. Is it like eBay, where you bid the max your willing to pay, or do you bid what you want to pay, like in the live auctions with the "goofy paddles"?

Zach

Like any online auction your highest bid raises the current bid by one encrement. Add 15% to your bid for the buyer's premium.

I would never bid in a Stacks sale unless you've previewed the auction or had someone preview you it for you. I'd say the same for other auction houses but especially for Stacks. These are raw coins, not well imaged, geared for in person bids.

Shylock, you are spot on concerning the Stacks online images--many don't do true justice to the coins but several make the coins look better than they really are. You absolutely have to view these raw coins in person or have someone you completely trust view them for you. I will be happy to give my take on the auction once the dust settles. I have a few bids in through a trusted dealer but am not overly optimistic as the Big Name Players are all going to be in town for this auction. Word has it that this collection was put together mainly in the 1950s and 60s and has not seen the light of day since that time. blush.gif TomT.

TomT, please extend yourself greatly at the auction and I will refresh your cash reserves by making you a few matte proofs lighter at Baltimore next week! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Word has it that this collection was put together mainly in the 1950s and 60s and has not seen the light of day since that time.

Many collectors feel at this point in time all the great coins have been certified and re-certified ad nauseum. And for good reason. Stacks sales these days are often boring but every once in a while they still land a collection that hasn't been cherrypicked by a major auction house or dealer. It remains raw as per the collector's wishes. I love these auctions because they give you an idea of what it was like to buy coins 20 years ago in the pre-certification era. No slab games and no plastic. All that matters is your skill in accessing coins. Most of us will never experience that era of coin collecting, myself included.