• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wooo Hooo! The Canon has arrived.

40 posts in this topic

Just reading up on its functions now and a couple of questions arise:

1)I read on the forums and in the manual that a higher F-stop (smaller aperture)brings the entire range from foreground to background into focus. The larger the aperture value, the greater the range of the image brought into focus.

What F-stop value do you normally use in imaging coins?

2)I can set a whole range of resolution and compression before I even take an image. Since I will be attaching most of my images as a file, it should be kept generally small. I can have a file size anywhere from 84KB up to 3.5MB's with a resolution from 640x480 pixels to 3264x2448 pixels. After perusing some images on the boards, I notice attachments as small as 40KB's and low resolution (from Chris) up to 500KB's with higher resolution from others.

Question is: Does it matter how I get to the final file size, i.e., should I image the photos with high resolution originally and then photoshop them to size or can I go ahead and shoot the image with low resolution and compression in the first place? Will the end results be the same? Would there be more detail if I shot high resolution first and then resized it?

p.s. Thanks Lucille for you camera tips. Got the Canon PowerShot Pro1. So far, so good!

Yikes,F-stop? Boy I'm glad my Nikon has auto-focus.

As for the quality of the image I would recomend that you shoot with the highest settings possible and the resize it through photoshop. Better detail in my opinion.

Good luck Victor,and I hope to see some pics of your beauties ASAP! yay.gif

I can shoot an image in total auto where it sets the time exposure and the aperature automatically, or set the aperature value and it will automaticaly choose the time or set the time exposure and it will automatically set the aperature which regulates the amount of light coming through.

I figured on setting a higher aperture for better quality images and to let it set the time exposure on its own.

So, Hayden, you have better results when you take higher resolution images and THEN compress them later on?

As far as software, the camera has its own which I haven't looked at yet and I also bought Elements 4.0 which seems awefully finicky about things. Not too sure if I like it or not.

Oh, it's just a camera...I thought you got a real cannon!

Yep, for Civil War reenactments. And you're in my sights, bro! crazy.gif

p.s. Just read the book "Cold Mountain" and then watched the DVD. In it, an old man born blind was asked what he would give for 10 minutes of sight. He replied not one Indian Head Cent lest it make me onery. This was in 1864.

As far as software, the camera has its own which I haven't looked at yet and I also bought Elements 4.0 which seems awefully finicky about things. Not too sure if I like it or not.

I allready told you this is all you need for photo editing.

But, Travis, the advice was a little late. Don't need a third program now.

Well if you would communicate a little more sorry.gif

Who knows maybe someone looking for photo editing software will find it useful. Besides if you have a hard time with your other programs you might want to try it. It's a simple one touch program.

So, Hayden, you have better results when you take higher resolution images and THEN compress them later on?

Yes!

I have Elements as well,a great program although it requires a little while to learn all the different editing tools. I'm still learning!

Should have got Elements smirk.gif

Now, since it is installed, any photo that I go to open which I have saved opens in Elements! WTF!? How do you get around this? When I go to attach the photo then it attaches the entire damn photo, software, editing feature, everything! The photo may only be 60KB but it uploads everything with 3.5MB's! Any advice?

That Wooo Hooo became a WTF quite quickly. smirk.gif

'Tis twentyfirst century technology so it's bound to happen. crazy.gif

F8 to 11 are typically optically best for resolution for most macro lenses. You are correct, however, in assessing that smaller apertures (F16-22, or even higher with some lenses) are possible for improved depth of field. Experiment around and work with exposure options. Most cameras allow over and under exposure in 1/3 stop increments.

I trust you have a shutter release? This will help quite a bit. A sturdy, heavy tripod or copy stand will also improve matters, giving little room for vibration. A copy stand is best for flat-field photography.

Good luck Victor.

Hoot

Are you opening your image from your documents? If so you can choose open with….Choose the program you want to open the image with.

You can also choose your default program to open images with.

Should have got Elements smirk.gif

Sure if you want to flaunt your money around like a brain dead rapper yeahok.gif

I took the forty dollars I saved and bought trout jerky. Elements is overhyped just download the album starter. As for those who have been sucked into buying elements I feel sorry for you.

Are you opening your image from your documents? If so you can choose open with….Choose the program you want to open the image with.

Thanks for the reply but I've done this. I've opened with Internet Explorer and then saved it to another folder and then when I go to open it, it opens the photo with the Elements editing software. confused-smiley-013.gif I just don't get it! Even photos that I did not upload to Elements will default to this state when I try to open them.

589a8ff82e473_1130473-CalebBabyLuvintheClouds1.jpg.bd7d2b3733e20e3e231fa42697aa3e28.jpg

Hmmm, this attached just fine. When I tried attaching it to an email, it uploaded the whole software. I'm even more confused now...

1130473-Caleb%26BabyLuvintheClouds1.jpg

Thanks for the reply but I've done this. I've opened with Internet Explorer and then saved it to another folder and then when I go to open it, it opens the photo with the Elements editing software. confused-smiley-013.gif I just don't get it! Even photos that I did not upload to Elements will default to this state when I try to open them.

Choose the program you want to edit your image in and then save it with in that program. under file save as ........

Under file menu choose save as …. Example …1878CCMS64

Just trying to help insane.gif

Holy freaky electrons, Batman! Now, I can now attach the images to e-mail w/o adding the whole blasted editing software (w/o doing anything differently) but when I resized this image to 6"x3" with a file under 35KB, this is what it came up with:

1130487-Caleb%26BabyLuvintheCloudsresize.jpg

Just reading up on its functions now and a couple of questions arise:

1)I read on the forums and in the manual that a higher F-stop (smaller aperture)brings the entire range from foreground to background into focus. The larger the aperture value, the greater the range of the image brought into focus.

What F-stop value do you normally use in imaging coins?

2)I can set a whole range of resolution and compression before I even take an image. Since I will be attaching most of my images as a file, it should be kept generally small. I can have a file size anywhere from 84KB up to 3.5MB's with a resolution from 640x480 pixels to 3264x2448 pixels. After perusing some images on the boards, I notice attachments as small as 40KB's and low resolution (from Chris) up to 500KB's with higher resolution from others.

Question is: Does it matter how I get to the final file size, i.e., should I image the photos with high resolution originally and then photoshop them to size or can I go ahead and shoot the image with low resolution and compression in the first place? Will the end results be the same? Would there be more detail if I shot high resolution first and then resized it?

p.s. Thanks Lucille for you camera tips. Got the Canon PowerShot Pro1. So far, so good!

What the hell are you talking about, Victor? I'm using the PowerShot Pro, too, after seeing Lucy's work. All I do is set it for super macro and shoot. Then I put the card in my card reader and load it in ACDSee, reduce the image and crop it some. So far, I haven't gone beyond that. I've got a good tripod but I haven't used the remote shutter release yet.

Chris