• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC MS68 with heavy toning

2 posts in this topic

I have NGC Merc MS68 with heavy toning along with a PF66 merc in the same condition. I was considering sending them in, but am worried that I could take a heavy hit is a coin you guys graded comes back with a lower grade after you "conserve" the coin. Why would I take that risk? Or am I not getting the point of what you guys do?

A coin is first evaluated before it is conserved. Part of the evaluation is to see if conservation would be beneficial to the coin. Will it leave the coin more attractive? Will it leave the coin better for long-term storage?

Part of the evaluation, when it comes to coins already certified, is to attempt to predict the outcome and be sure that the currently stated grade will at least be maintained after professional conservation. The evaluators will attempt to look at the surfaces underneath the toning to look for signs that hairlines or contact marks may be revealed that will lead to a coin grading lower after conservation.

A coin will have to pass both parts of an evaluation in order to be conserved. If there is a risk of any aspect of a coin coming out with less than desired results, it will not be conserved. It is a rare occurance that a coin will be worse off after being professionally conserved in terms of its grade.

Chris, NCS