• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can slabbed coins be Artificially toned in the holder?

9 posts in this topic

someone asked this question across the street and some references were made to a book, and someone who was banned when they spoke of the process to AT coins in a holder. I have no interest in doing it, but why would a discussion like that be deleted?

Does anyone know anything about this?

Is that discussion forbidden here?

It has been done. I have seen some that are owned by Bob Campbell that he uses in his AT Forums at different Coin Shows. Most are very easy to identify as AT.

but why would a discussion like that be deleted?

I have no idea!!!!!

There was a guy over there who specialized in Peace dollars (PeaceNut, or something like that) who discussed that. He's on this forum as well. I remember that he proved coins could be artificially toned in slabs.

The fact that coins can and do change color in slabs is sufficient evidence for me to believe they can be ATed.

James

This thread is still up. Is it the one that you're referring to? Bob (Supertooth) mentions the book in his post.

Someone in that thread referred to a previous thread on the subject where someone was banned and the thread removed by the mods. I just wondered if anyon ehad knowledge of that thread.

Regardless of whether or not the target coin is raw or in a slab,I find it rather humerous that the gases used it AT'ing some coins can also be a byproduct of human waste! blush.gif

I always knew AT coins were really,er...poop..

The book is "Coin Chemistry Including Preservation and Cleaning" by Weimar W. White.

The ISBN 0-9713924-7-1 Library of Congress No. 2004106501. It is a list of articles on coin chemistry the author has written during the last 19 years for the "Gobrecht Journal, COINage, The Numismatist and Coin World". You can get it just about everywhere.

Larry

Ignoring White's prejudiced ranting on white coins, the thread was by a vocal lawyer who happened to get sued along with PCGS, Heritage, etal by a Florida Grading company costing a lot of money, In that context, some of his posts didn't help things IMHO. I believe his toned thread attacked the credibility of the PCGS product so they may have used this as an artiface to ban him from the boards. All he really proved was you could take old PCGS rattlers (how many are lef??!!) and subject them to sulfur bearing organic compounds such as unions, eggs, and other yum-yums. The results were nothing special--just a nice original appearing golden-brown edge toning like you'd see from storage in an old album. No big money colors or anything valuable. I miss the collector's provocative and interesting good contributions actually--