• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Discerning Young Numismatist

25 posts in this topic

Carefully scrutinizing a box of coins, he pulls one promising looking candiadate from the box. Blessed with youthful eyes he requires no loupe to closely examaine the coin. Methodically he rotates the coin under the light examining the surfaces for orginality and with his personal antipathy towards hairlines especially their absense. Patiently working first through the obvsere then the reverse, he compares the effects to his vast memory of similar gems. Satisfied this coin is indeed PQ with monster eye appeal and originality he bestows upon it an exclusive and rare honor. Reserved for only the very choicest coins, he pops it in his mouth for an approving taste. This coin will proudly join his collection, a great day it is!

Photos of the momentous selection:

coinbaby.jpg

Carefully scrutinizing a box of coins, he pulls one promising looking candiadate from the box. Blessed with youthful eyes he requires no loupe to closely examaine the coin. Methodically he rotates the coin under the light examining the surfaces for orginality and with his personal antipathy towards hairlines especially their absense. Patiently working first through the obvsere then the reverse, he compares the effects to his vast memory of similar gems. Satisfied this coin is indeed PQ with monster eye appeal and originality he bestows upon it an exclusive and rare honor. Reserved for only the very choicest coins, he pops it in his mouth for an approving taste. This coin will proudly join his collection, a great day it is!

How odd. And here I thought the "crack the slab in your mouth, suck the coin out, roll across tongue and grade" method that PCGS taught us was the real way to grade. It seems I need to go back to grading school. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

jom

How odd. And here I thought the "crack the slab in your mouth, suck the coin out, roll across tongue and grade" method that PCGS taught us was the real way to grade. It seems I need to go back to grading school. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

jom

He gave up on the tongue grading method when all his coins came back in body bags for "saliva enhanced surfaces". confused-smiley-013.gif

He gave up on the tongue grading method when all his coins came back in body bags for "saliva enhanced surfaces". confused-smiley-013.gif

LAME! Collectors drool on their coins all the time. I'd consider that a "NT" (natural tongue). I think some leeway should be given by the TPG in those instances.

BTW, I didn't know Cameron was the original poster child for Gerbers Baby Food. You learn something new everyday I guess.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

jom

Perhaps he'll start his own grading service: TCGS (Tasty Coin Grading Service). It'd be better than 9/10 of the slabbing services out there currently.

BTW, I didn't know Cameron was the original poster child for Gerbers Baby Food.

Cameron makes for a very unhealthy looking toddler. I thought his inclusion in JJ's signature line was a modern form of gargoyle art or some horrible modern colorization of an ancient grotesque medal.

Hoot

Very cute! I usually avoid the "which-TPG-is-best" debates; but I can say without fear of contradiction that NGC slabs make the best teethers.

Twins! And they look so alike. Are they identical?

I think you were fooled by the photo...it's actually two photos, same numismatist/grader/chewer.

jom

Photos of the momentous selection:

coinbaby.jpg

.....and it looks like he has good taste in coins. thumbsup2.gif Seeing pics like these reminds one of lifes precious moments that is never forgotten.

Cameron makes for a very unhealthy looking toddler. I thought his inclusion in JJ's signature line was a modern form of gargoyle art or some horrible modern colorization of an ancient grotesque medal.

My wide suggested including Cameron in the line of baby heads. The thought it would be funny and I think she was right!

Twins! And they look so alike. Are they identical?

Greg

No, the one on the right is 30 seconds older. wink.gif

Very cute! I usually avoid the "which-TPG-is-best" debates; but I can say without fear of contradiction that NGC slabs make the best teethers.

They come in handy as his third tooth is coming in.

Hopefully those aren't NGC SMS coins from Greg. insane.gif

Baby hates modern [embarrassing lack of self control]. sumo.gif

My wide suggested including Cameron in the line of baby heads. The thought it would be funny and I think she was right!

Are you calling your wife fat? blush.gif

Dang it, James! A man can mind his own business, keep his trap shut and still manage to let his friends put him in the dog house.

tonofbricks.gif

p.s. With all respect, I think Mrs. J.J. is gorgeous, but I am a little biased towards Vietnamese women! cloud9.gif