• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay is killing me....

15 posts in this topic

I'm just wondering how many others out there waste as much time looking through all the garbage coins that you find on Ebay and actually buy them like I do sometimes. Living in a rural area, it's difficult to add to a collection and I have to admit that Ebay is a great way to build a collection, but it has certainly been a learning experience!

I'm thinking we should start a thread or even a discussion board on the do's and don'ts for purchasing coins on Ebay. I know I've learned a lot on my own, but I bet there's still a lot I don't know and some interesting stories that people can tell. I tend to want to imply that many people who deal on Ebay are dishonest in their dealings, but it is really not that they are being dishonest. They are just not giving you enough information to give you an informative buy. I have to admit that I've really gotten some great deals on Ebay, but at the same time I've also gotten ripped off so bad it has been ridiculous and if I had just known the warning signs I might have avoided it altogether.

I keep telling myself I'm just going to quit Ebay, but unfortunately it's one of my best outlets for collecting and sometimes selling the junk that get's sold to me too. If you guys think it would be a worthwhile subject, I'd be glad to put together a list from everyones suggestions and maybe we can all benefit from it...

Greg

at one point I think the thread you mentioned existed.... but at any rate..... a new one needs to be done.... If you ever have questions on a coin... ask here... I know alot of times when I see another board member is going after a coin I will not battle with him for it... there are plenty... I guess it is just common curtisy.... but I saw a coin I liked a few days ago, but saw one of the forum memebers was the high bidder.... so I moved on ...

Five years or more ago, it was possible to get great deals on eBay. There have always been good and bad sellers, but like any other start-up market, once it reaches a certain saturation level and stabilizes, the scum has an opportunity to rise to the top. That's about where eBay is right now. I only buy cheap stuff there anymore. And I've come to the rather bizarre conclusion that eBay is the worst place of all to buy slabs. Only the worst of the worst of the worst certifed coins end up on eBay.

James

And I've come to the rather bizarre conclusion that eBay is the worst place of all to buy slabs. Only the worst of the worst of the worst certifed coins end up on eBay.

Where have you been? screwy.gif

And I've come to the rather bizarre conclusion that eBay is the worst place of all to buy slabs. Only the worst of the worst of the worst certifed coins end up on eBay.

Where have you been? screwy.gif

Hayden, are you gonna let him talk about your coins like that? poke2.gifdevil.gif

Grumps-------You need to get a date from me to post on the weekly ' What You Need To Know' post that we are doing each week. Yes, I agree. Ebay has sure changed in these last couple of years. But, if you are knowledgable and observant, deals can still be found----both raw coins and slabs. It is just that they are so few and far between now in 2006. Anyway, PM me and get a date from me to post and we, 'all of us' can talk about it a little more. Bob [supertooth]

Yes there is a lot of junk on ebay, like dealers excess stock. But it is also a place for collectors, like myself, to sell their nice coins. Better to sell my commems on ebay than to sell to local dealer for 15% under blue sheet.

I guess it is just common curtisy.... but I saw a coin I liked a few days ago, but saw one of the forum memebers was the high bidder.... so I moved on ...

Did you PM the forum member about it? I know I've seen a lot of forum members bid on my stuff, but it's more courtesy bids than really wanting the coin. This might have been the case.

Here's the thread.

Thanks Hayden! This is exactly what I was talking about! You guys have already done most of the homework and there's already a lot of good information in here!

Greg

Five years or more ago, it was possible to get great deals on eBay. There have always been good and bad sellers, but like any other start-up market, once it reaches a certain saturation level and stabilizes, the scum has an opportunity to rise to the top. That's about where eBay is right now. I only buy cheap stuff there anymore. And I've come to the rather bizarre conclusion that eBay is the worst place of all to buy slabs. Only the worst of the worst of the worst certifed coins end up on eBay.

I agree with what you're saying James, but you have to look at each individuals situation. Knowledge is power and the only thing that has happened here is that over time people took that knowledge and worked it against us. There are still great deals to be found on Ebay! You have to really work to find them now. We have to take the current knowledge that we have and turn it back around to find those great deals. That's why I figure with the combined knowledge of the people in these forums, we should be able to come up with a short cut list of ways to beat the system.

I hate Ebay, but I'm also addicted to it in a lot of ways. It's one of my only outlets to coin collecting that I feel comfortable collecting from a rural area. I just want to increase my skills to avoid bad buys and know when to bid on the good ones. Just my opinion though....

Greg

If you ever have questions on a coin... ask here... I know alot of times when I see another board member is going after a coin I will not battle with him for it... there are plenty... I guess it is just common curtisy.... but I saw a coin I liked a few days ago, but saw one of the forum memebers was the high bidder.... so I moved on ...

Yes, I agree about that. I was worried that you guys were going to try to "steal" the Panda double die I saw on eBay but you were all very helpful... I do know Hayden was secretly coveting it laugh.gif BTW, It coin is still in route from China. I'll post a picture when I get it.

I've found some really good stuff on ebay and gotten some real junk. The junk I end up reselling but usually at a loss because I accurately describe and image what I have. I find ebay particularly good for getting rid of stuff that no loner interests me but is still very nice. I've sold proof sets, Foriegn Coins, and will be selling my modern comm's when I finally get around to it.

I guess it is just common curtisy.... but I saw a coin I liked a few days ago, but saw one of the forum memebers was the high bidder.... so I moved on ...

Did you PM the forum member about it? I know I've seen a lot of forum members bid on my stuff, but it's more courtesy bids than really wanting the coin. This might have been the case.

Knowing the forum members taste ... I am sure it was not a courtesy bid....

I usually 'bookmark' an item on Ebay that I want to bid on later by putting an initial bid on it and then later near the end I place my final bid.I do this because some auctions run for 4 or more days and in the mean time before one of these auctions end , another may pop up that requires most of my bid funds to complete . If there is any funding left , I may go back and place the final bid on one of the longer auctions , but usually there is not and that way I am not left trying to move funds around to complete a purchase.

Ebay has been eaten up with phishing and schill bidding to the point that I and a lot of other friends I speak with are just down to putting our final bids in at the last minute -snipe bidding. I absolutely will not get into a 'bidding war' and pay way too much for anything on Ebay , sight unseen.

You can find most shill bidding by the fact that no feedback is ever left for the buyer or that the seller is offering you a 'second chance offer' within a day of the end of a bid for the 'one-of-a-kind' only coin of that type the seller has not had in years....so how is there anychance that they can possibly know that the buyer is not gonna pay or that there can be another available? Those sellers should be permanently removed from Ebay or just the face of the planet.

I agree that Ebay is getting more dangerous to the pockets , and when Bob (Supertooth) gets a date set up for a forum on this topic , it will be none to soon.