• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Die polish strations

4 posts in this topic

What weight do die polish striations carry in your grading ?? I realize that's a rather broad question without looking at the coin....I guess in hypothetical terms, could they pull an otherwise 63 coin down to a 62, 61, or even a 60 if prominent enough ?? Thanks.

Great question! I just received a 1940-S MS66fs Jefferson that has the most severe die polish striations I've ever seen! It looks rather frightening! tongue.gif

Hoot

Johnny,

Generally, this is not considered a detracting characteristic. In fact, many believe it adds character to a coin. A less experienced numismatist or a novice may not like or understand this because they equate the look with cleaning. In many cases it will add a PL look to a coin when viewed at various angles.

John

John...thanks. I'm just such a novice...I passed on a really nice 1890-CC dollar recently which had such lines...I was really concerned they were wiping hairlines, but now that I've seen true die polish lines, I think I was mistaken. Live and learn.