• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bring On The Coin Pictures-I'm On Cable Internet Now!!!

49 posts in this topic

Here's some blue to test the B in your RGB Monitor!

Are you insulting Tom's monitor?

Not at all - this is a pubic service - this'll help all of your to test the R in your RGB Monitors! cool.gif

1011916-1903Pr67RD.JPG

And here's the "G"

1127916-81-SGreenMeenie.jpg

And finally, a little eye candy for those that like "Old Gold"

I like it. What is it?

It is "Greek Gold" a gold Stater of Philip II of Macedon - Alexander the Great's father - It was struck after Philip II had died - some time toward the end of Alexander the Great's reign. The obverse portrait is supposed to be the Greek God Apollo - BUT - Most scholars believe that it is actually a Portrait coin of Alexander the Great - Whether Apollo or Alexander, It is wonderful Greek Portrait Art of the Hellanistic Period -

Here's the interesting thing - Teddy Roosevelt's desire to change the US gold coinage and the wonderful St. Gaudens 10s and 20s result from Roosevelts appreciation of classical and Hellenistic Greek art! - the Obverse on the $20 Saint is a direct copy of a piece of Greek sculpture that is in the Louvre: The Winged Victory of Samothrace. If you are familiar with Greek Coins, the reverse eagle on the $10 St Gaudens is almost a direct copy of an Eagle that I believe is on a Ptolemaic silver coins (Ptolemy was one of Alexander's Generals who ended up ruling in Egypt after Alexander died and his empire was disbursed among Alexander's Generals - AND Cleopatra was NOT Egyptian as thought by most - she was Greek as she was a direct descendant of Ptolemy). Well enough "History" If you liked that coin, I posted another couple of "Oldies" in this thread:

"Old Gold"

Thanks for the education! The state of preservation is incredible.

That's correct - AND the die work is really outstanding - in addition to this being pretty much as struck, on the obverse you can see the pupil of the eye, and there are "eyelashes" exactly where you would expect them to be - incredible when you consider that the dies were hand cut - directly into the metal without modern die engraving tools and probably without the aid of magnifing glasses - though I believe the Greeks were aware that water in a glass "bulb" was a primitive magnifier - the question is: - did they have suffiecient glass making skills to make a clear glass bulb to put water in to be ued as a magnifier? This coin was made around 333 BC

Chinook!!! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Should I just send to you the few nicely toned pieces that I have since you apparently own every other one ever minted? hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif