• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does this coin look AT?

16 posts in this topic

JUST KIDDING!!! Sorry for the misleading title, but I figured the way things were going around here lately, no one would read my post if it didn't have something to do with artificial toning! Anyhow, thought I'd share my latest purchase, this one from my world where AT and NT pretty much mean nothing! Got this off eBay for a little over melt, but raw is so nice sometimes to see all three sides of the coin! Enjoy!

1913d20dobv.JPG

1913d20drev.JPG

1913d20dedge.JPG

Ah! That's why it cost about the same as a 1 oz. AGE, and I would take this coin with the scratch any day of the week over those monstrocities! It's a common date, would probably grade MS-62/63 without the scratch (the luster is gorgeous in person, but alas my photo skills are lacking). Even so, I am happy to have it!

It's funny, I passed over your thread twice and almost didn't open it at all because of the title. I get tired of AT vs NT threads, they have been going on forever.

I doubt Cheney would get in trouble because we know if he shot the eagle that he really wasn't aiming for it. wink.gif

As for the coin, heck, it's great! Just over melt for that is terrific and I would do the same thing. These things weigh a ton and have a wonderful edge pattern! 893applaud-thumb.gif

It's funny, I passed over your thread twice and almost didn't open it at all because of the title. I get tired of AT vs NT threads, they have been going on forever.

I doubt Cheney would get in trouble because we know if he shot the eagle that he really wasn't aiming for it. wink.gif

As for the coin, heck, it's great! Just over melt for that is terrific and I would do the same thing. These things weigh a ton and have a wonderful edge pattern! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Actually - after he shot the Eagle, would have classified the Federal Law so no one would know about it! crazy.gifwink.gif

I love the edges! The 1 oz gold Buffalo with the Presidential dollars will have incuse edges. I think that is a great idea.

So what coins have an incused/raised edge? Early Bust halves, the "Nolan Ryan" silver dollar commem, the St Gaudins. Any others?

Victor, the Saint-Gaudens Indian eagle has raised stars on the edge, 46 from 1907-1911 and 48 from 1912-1933. Early dollars also had a lettered edge. I think that's about all the designs struck for circulation that have neither a reeded or plain edge. Interestingly, there was one URH 1907 double eagle that was struck with a plain edge, and there were also some HR coins struck using the collar from the URH, which can be determined by the letter N in Unum.

And how did Cheney get into my thread?!? This is about artificial toning doggoneit!

I love the edges! The 1 oz gold Buffalo with the Presidential dollars will have incuse edges. I think that is a great idea.

So what coins have an incused/raised edge? Early Bust halves, the "Nolan Ryan" silver dollar commem, the St Gaudins. Any others?

While they weren't offically minted in the US but were used as US currency, the Reales also had a raised edge.

Greg

nice looking saint.... They have one of my favorite designs..... Here is a raw one I had recently.. I moved it raw... I also graded it at MS 63 ... What do you think?

1924st.jpg

I also graded it at MS 63 ... What do you think?

Depending on the luster, Bruce, I'd say you're a pretty tough grader.

Hoot

The luster on the front is what held it back for me as well as what I thought was a bit of flatness... The luster is a bit weaker than the back which is really nice.... It sold for good money if you ask me... but with gold going up since it would bring more now... I am sorta regreting selling it, but it worked out in the end smile.gif Someone got a nice coin. The man was very pleased, and said "WOW nice coin, better than I thought it was! Thanks!" But its all in the eye of the beholder...

I also graded it at MS 63 ... What do you think?

Depending on the luster, Bruce, I'd say you're a pretty tough grader.

Hoot

I would not call it tough as much as trying to be a realist and not calling this MS 65 when I know it is not.... Thats just wrong even if it would bring more money that way.. I try to be honest

Bruce, the 1924 is the most common of the series and is almost universally sharply struck with great details in the hands and face. Some may call your grading tough, but I think it's right on target for this issue. With more than 200K graded at NGC, and who knows how many at PCGS, creates a high hurdle to get above 63 or 64 (even though this coin is pretty common all the way through 65, and only gets tough in 66 and higher. Again, it's tough to grade from a photo, but since this issue typically has such great luster, any dullness will affect the grade. Bottom line, I think you called it right as a 63.

Jeff: Your getting desperate in your old age. I almost did not read the post either because of the title. You got a good deal though any time you can buy a Saint at close to melt, no matter what condition.