• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To Be Fair To PCGS, My Second PCGS Imaged Coin Is Accurately Portrayed

16 posts in this topic

Okay, so perhaps folks don't really care that I was concerned about the realism of the PCGS images in my first post on the subject earlier this month. However, I received my second PCGS imaged coin today and I must admit that this image is nearly dead-on for accuracy. The only thing I can write about it is that the image is a little brighter than something you would expect under normal lighting conditions. That is, the obverse field of the coin is a bit more deep cherry than suggested and the devices a bit darker or deeper in auburn. Overall, I would have to admit that this image was superbly done and a very fair representation of the coin in-hand. The coin is below-

1123977-2a_3.jpg

1123977-2a_3.jpg.9f1ba96c4f542e4e55395f0d69e824cb.jpg

A simply gorgeous, outstanding coin with magnificent eye-appeal!! Amazing what a blow torch can do.

acclaim.gif

All right Victor,enough with this AT junk. sign-rantpost.gif

Superlative Lincoln,Tom! thumbsup2.gif

Hayden

Hoot, there is a very funny, and expensive, story that goes with my acquisition of this piece but I think my wife might kill me if I related it on the boards! 893whatthe.gif

Hoot, there is a very funny, and expensive, story that goes with my acquisition of this piece but I think my wife might kill me if I related it on the boards! 893whatthe.gif

Tom - DON'T tell - you have children to feed! blush.gif

On a more serious note - Very nice coin - I presume a matte proof, correct?

Tom - DON'T tell - you have children to feed! blush.gif

On a more serious note - Very nice coin - I presume a matte proof, correct?

Maybe he doesn't have as many children to feed anymore! blush.gif

27_laughing.gif

A simply gorgeous, outstanding coin with magnificent eye-appeal!! Amazing what a blow torch can do.

acclaim.gif

All right Victor,enough with this AT junk. sign-rantpost.gif

Superlative Lincoln,Tom! thumbsup2.gif

Hayden

Geez! I can't believe that I'm being chastised by a 16 year old. foreheadslap.gif

SWEET!!!!!!!!!

I was watching that auction and am very glad it went to a coinosaurous. grin.gif

I agree that from the photo it appears to be undergraded. PCGS really likes to see vibrancy, although their grading of matte proofs is extremely unpredictable. I have seen a few 67's that are no better than 65 and I have seen a few 64's that were no brainer 66's. NGC on the other hand is very consistant, albeit sometimes a tad loose.

I wish I had bought it back in December. frown.gif But at least now I know it has a good home.