• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to do???

2 posts in this topic

I submitted 3 coins to ICG and they were returned altered surface. I took these out of a frame that had a lot of coins in them. I believe we got these about 35 years ago from one of the automobile gas companies. They seem to be OK except they are shiny. I think something was spryed on them to make them shiny. Can you do anything on coins like this. Thank you

An coin with an altered surface has typical been mechanically or chemically altered to give the appearance of a deep cameo to a proof coin or the appearance of a proof strike to a mint state strike coin. This alteration has permanently altered the surface of the coin. More than likely, although we could remove any residues or undesirable toning, your coin would remain "altered surface" after professional conservation. We could authenticate and encapsulate in hermetically sealed NCS holders your coins with either a genuine description or a grade of the details along with a description of the problem which is preventing these coins from grading with a major grading service such as NGC.

Chris, NCS