• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hedda "coin" Hopper sez...

9 posts in this topic

....what well known, bay area, exPCGS coin grader is now the center of attention of a certain controversy revolving around a certain dollar sized coin graded by a certain TPG? Do tell. Will the controversy eventually expose this certain exPCGS grader to scorn and humiliation? Will the certain TPG go after this certain exPCGS grader for selling a now exposed AT coin? How much more can the collecting public endure? Does this exPCGS now face certain expulsion from the numismatic community? Will this person be forced to sell used cars for the rest of his/her life? Will the involved TPG "disavow" the coin? Hedda "coin" Hopper sez: stay tuned for more adventures.

TRUTH

I predict that if push comes to shove, a previously unnamed and unidentifiable person will suddenly become part of the story, and that's the person who will have first concocted the story of the old collection and the 2x2 envelope.

No one who is in the business will end up with egg on his face, as long as everyone gets his money back.

Don't you think it's more likely that the "concocted story" is nothing more than sloppy communication in the context of a deal?

What the Seller says: Look at this toner. It's a MONSTER. I like it for natural -- kind of what I would expect if the coin sat in an envelope since the day it was minted.

What the Buyer hears: I guarantee that this coin is natural. It was stored in a Kraft 2x2 envelope for 80 years.

A seller puffs the coin up. A buyer hears what he wants while looking beyond the purchase to a score on resale. Then, once the facts are known, the buyer becomes ever more certain that the seller lied to him.

It's not as scintillating or intriguing as a story of fraud; but, in my experience, deals gone bad are more often attributable to poor communication than to out-and-out deceit.

"Don't you think it's more likely that the "concocted story" is nothing more than sloppy communication in the context of a deal?"

Hedda sez: the whole fiasco is a bunch of poop. A dealer got bested by another dealer who had superior knowledge, no communication problems here. Happens every day. Frankly, I don't believe the story. I never believe any story behind a coin. However, I rarely see a dealer whine about his/her mistakes on a public forum. It makes him look naive and foolish. Hedda sez: A wise man who poops in pants should not tell the world he only wears white knickers.

TRUTH

A dealer got bested by another dealer who had superior knowledge, no communication problems here.

What I'm trying to suggest is that a lie wasn't necessary for one dealer to best another.

Hedda_Hopper_f.jpg

grin.gif