• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there a 2006 MINT SET "SMS"

11 posts in this topic

Just a question to see if anybody has heard or read anything about the 2006 Mint Set from the mint if it will be like the SMS Satin finish set like the 2005 Mint set? Does anybody have any information? Thanks in advance for any answers.

papag

Ken

No official word that I've heard, but I believe that the mint was switching in 2005 to the SMS set and I understood it to mean for all future years. I assume if 2006 was back to the reglar finish they would have announced it.

thanks Greg

I didn't even know that they had "stated" the Mint would continue the SMS set back in 2005. Great Information. I kind of like the Satin look on the sets by the way.

Thanks

papag

Ken

I just spoke to customer service at the Mint and the UNC Mint Sets will be the same as last year.....SMS. They are scheduled for release in June or July.

Chris

This is confusing to me. Is the mint releasing both Satin Finish coins and Business Strike coins? I've never really gotten a straight answer to this. I've been collecting the 2005 coins in two sets. I've got SMS coins that I've pulled from the mint sets and then I'm going out and pulling coins from rolls then defining these as business strikes. Is the mint actually using different dies for mint sets and circulation? I've even asked in the forums about NGC grading in the registry sets. If you look in the registries, there is no breakdown to divide a SMS and Business Strike coin for 2005 coins and no one has answered. Is anyone following my confusion and does anyone have a clear answer for where collecting may be heading in the future if there are two different strikes?

Thanks,

Greg

As I understand it, the mint uses special finished dies for the mint sets. These create SMS or Satin Finish coins. When the dies out live their life for production of mint set quality coins, they then use the dies to produce normal business strike coins. Therefore, you can get a coin that is a technical business strike that looks SMS. Or you can get a technical SMS coin that was produced toward the end of the die life and it looks like a business strike.

Obviously, a large percentage of the dies producing business strike coins are not ex-SMS dies, but a small percentage are.

The SMS coins are handled in a much gentler fashion on the production line, almost to the point of individual handling, but, as Greg said, when the satin finish on the dies begins to wear they are then used for the business strikes. You may have noticed that some of the coins from Mint bags & rolls seem to show evidence of an abraded die. Many of these were the special dies used for the satin finish that were retooled which resulted in a shiny surface on parts of the coins.

Chris

This is confusing to me. Is the mint releasing both Satin Finish coins and Business Strike coins? I've never really gotten a straight answer to this.

The answer is "YES" and they will continue this policy in 2006.

Chris

Great! I guess the folder makers like Intercept and Dansco will be eating this up on all the money they will be making from people wanting to upgrade or purchase new folders for their collections. I guess NGC will have to make the entries available for the registry sets eventually also.

I didn't realize they were reusing the Satin dies for the Business Strikes. I have noticed that some of the coins coming out of rolls have had what appeared to be a Satin finish to it in some cases. It's going to be interesting if they continue this practice. I have to admit I love the satin finish, as it brings a new look to the mint state coins. I really wish they would have left it as a one year deal though. I kind of miss the bright shiny glow of the mint sets of the past also. It seems with the practice they are using now, they are actually degrading the business strike coins by using the worn out satin dies never leaving the chance to see those bright shiny coins of the past again.

Well I guess you can't have everything....

Thanks for all the great information!

Greg

If I am not mistaken, there is a breakdown for the business strikes in the 2005 Mint Set and elsewhere. The slots without the SMS tag are for business strikes. Of course, the slots can also have the other common tags like PL, FT, etc. Upon entering the certification number the registry knows which slot to pull the score from. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Someone correct me if I am wrong! tonofbricks.gif