• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do the pix on the Goldberg site look like the actual coins in the auction?

4 posts in this topic

I just received a Ira & Larry Goldberg auction catalog today. After looking through the catalog, I went to their site. I was interested in several of the toned coins, they looked great from the photos. My question is, does the photos show the color as it appears on the coin?

It has been my experience that for business strike coinage the images look very much like the coins. As for proof coinage, I really can't tell you. I think their images of business strike coins are more true to life than any other auctioneer.

I was amused by this (check out the italics):

"1849 Pattern Gold Dollar. Silver (gold plated), plain edge. Judd-116. Pollock-131 Rarity-7. PCGS graded Proof 62. A round coin with a square central perforation. Interestingly, all pieces of this design type were hand-engraved by James Longacre and were not struck from dies. Well struck with a slight bend in the planchet and lightly toned.

Happens to the best!...

laugh.gif Hoot

I saw a wild 1886 Morgan in person and also in the Goldberg auction photos. The photos were good. The person who wins that lot will not be disappointed as the coin looks better in person.