• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can a cleaned coin be un-cleaned?

2 posts in this topic

Recently submitted a Gettysburg half for certification by NGC. Came back without certification due to "improper cleaning". Is there any chance that this coin can be brought back from the dead by NCS so it can be certified by NGC? I don't think that the problem is abrasive marks. From what I can tell, the obverse may have a slight blue-ish tint to it. I know that you may not be able to give me a definite answer without seeing the coin in person, but if there's NO chance it can be done, I won't bother to send it. Thanks.

Paul Hodgen

Typically, when a coin has been deemed "improperly cleaned" it has been permanently altered by mechanical means. The result may be in the range of spots of excessive hairlines to overall abrasion. We can not restore surfaces that have been removed. Usually when a coin has been "improperly cleaned" there is nothing NCS may be able to do to correct that. We may be able to help the bluish tint you see as it likely is the cause of residues. It may have been added in an attempt to hide the improper cleaning.

Chris, NCS