• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will you only purchase coins slabbed by certain co's?

19 posts in this topic

I am speaking of "classic" coinage. Not this ultra hi grade plastic hype.

I couldn't care less myself but it must be one of the "big 3".

I look for NGC/ANACS stuff because there are sometimes some bargains to be had because of all of the PCGS registry hype and hoopla.

I look at coins that catch my eye in any holder. Only upon careful examination will I buy a coin from any service other than ANACS, NGC, or PCGS. And the reason I qualify this is that I have bought many coins from the big 3 sight unseen (internet). But! I only buy from dealers/persons or auction houses that have clear return policies.

I love seeking out raw material, but only in person.

Hoot

I'll buy anything if I like the look of the coin. If I have to holder it afterwards, I'll send it along to NGC or ANACS.

After looking at so many garbage coins in major slabs, I'm to the point now that I'll buy any classic coin in any holder, but will only purchase material that I can see in person first.

I'll buy the coins I need mostly in NGC and PCGS holders.

Actually registry hype problem is not that bad so long as you are buying coins that are not in the PCGS Registry "condition census." Prices really get bad on the low pop items, but I've not had to pay any big premiums for the classic coins in PCGS holders because I'm not a "finest known" type of collector for the most part. My upper limit for a single coin is a few thousand dollars to just over $10 grand, and that does not go far in the area of "low pop" classic coins.

I view it as what service(s) do I want to avoid. That is, which of the services out there should I not financially support in any manner, including buying coins that someone else has paid to be slabbed.

I try to stay with NGC, PCGS, or ANACS in that order, but I will buy a coin in almost any holder IF I agree with the stated grade and like the eye appeal of the coin.

To be honest though I have bought very few coins that were in holders other than the big three basically because of the difficulty I have had finding coins in other holders that meet my above criteria.

John

I don't care for the coins myself, I just buy the slabs. The coin often takes away from the prime focal area of the hologram. grin.gif

But seriously, I buy only NGC and ANACS sight unseen. I was recently burned on a PCI gold label piece of 893censored-thumb.gif. No more sight unseen third tier slabs! (Note, by sight unseen, I mean in person, a jpeg on eBay is still sight unseen IMO). I'll buy anything in person if I like it, as long as it's under $250. grin.gif Anything over $100 value gets crossed to NGC or ANACS.

I'll buy based on the coin I see in the slab although I tend to lean towards NGC, PCGS, and older green label PCI if I look for something in a slab.

It all depends on if I think the coin in the slab is equal to or better looking than the grade on the label.

I'm not TOO biased when it comes to buying as long as the coin is attractive, however, I cannot say the same about submitting coins myself. smile.gif

I was interested in buying unc coins, but then I learned that there is no difference between a coin in one grade and a coin in the next higher grade. It logically follows that all coins are identical so now i just buy Canadian cents since I can get more than 200 to the dollar.

I can get almost all the classic slabs in the debris left at any major coin show.

There is little chance of my markets crashing since the coins are nearly worth their weight in copper and the plastic only costs the time and effort to sweep it up.

I did buy a nice ICG Walker at a good price to upgrade my short set...cracked it out and put it in my album.

I generally look for NGC or PCGS if I want a slab...did get a decent 14-D cent in an ANACS slab...but it would take a lot for me to spend much money on anything other than "the big 3" stooges.gif

i'll buy any coin in any holder if it's the right coin at the right price. i'm a total coin 893censored-thumb.gif ! have bought - and cracked out so many acg pieces that i couldn't count that hi if i were naked.

I'll buy any coin in any holder other than Accugrade and that's just for personal reasons.

When searching eBay I'll punch in NGC first than PCI (still some cool bargains out there in their older holders) and then PCGS. ANACS and SEGS then follow and, with time to kill, I'll browse at NTC coins.

well for me i really do not care whose holder it is in

i just look at the coin and ask the price and then deside

but the problem with any holder and evenmoreso

with the off brand holders is you really cant see the whole coin

case in point a friend i know bought a coin just into 4 figures in an ntc holder

he broke the coin out of the holder as he wanted to put the coin in his album

low and behold the coin had a really bad rin distrubance which was not seen when holdered and now thast it is cracked out of the holder there is no recourse 893frustrated.gifinsane.gif

so in this case i guess it is a [!@#%^&^] shoot with off brand holdered coins as you never know what you are really getting even if you can see both sides of the coin as the plastic hides the edge 893naughty-thumb.gif

so now i would be really leary of anything else other than pcgs/ngc

also i had another dealer friend some years ago send in a coin for grading a really gem unc ten liberty and it had the edge filed

he sent it to one top service and they refused to slab it twice he sent it to another top service and they slabbed it the first time! 893whatthe.gif

so i guess for me with coins in holders where you cant see the whole coin raw you spends your money and you takes your chances!

sincerely michael flamed.gif

I confess that I've gambled a few times on ACG, NTC, and PCI coins that I thought had a chance at crossing at the same grade or one lower, but in EVERY case I've been burned. I always paid grade minus one money, so I haven't been hurt financially too much but I've given up. There was a recent purchase of a coin in a MS66 NTC holder that I tried to cross at NGC, and it came back body bagged for improper cleaning. 893frustrated.gif

I couldn't see the damage in the holder, but once cracked out after rejection it was obvious. NEVER again! 893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif

I even had a coin in a PCGS holder that wouldn't cross to NGC due to hairline scratches. I had to get a microscope to see what NGC saw, but sure enough the hairlines were there. So I'm now an NGC bigot...

I have bought coins in NGC,PCGS,ANACS, ICG, PCI (gold label) NTC and INGS slabs and have yet to get a bad deal. A couple of pieces including a PCI gold label and the INGS coin both came back the same grade with the * designation when submitted raw. If you know what you are looking for and are very careful you can occasionally find gems in junk holders.

After looking at so many garbage coins in major slabs, I'm to the point now that I'll buy any classic coin in any holder, but will only purchase material that I can see in person first.

I've become this way. I guess it has to do with growing tired of paying the US PO.

I've sent just about everything back that has come my way thru the mail. Most of the coin pics on the internet are so inferior to get some idea what your bidding on.

Just about everywhere you turn, no matter what the coin is, it's rare. 27_laughing.gif Especially when it's a modern in a slab. Well I'm getting off topic again.

Leo

PCGS coins tend to be good for the buyer, ANACS good for the seller, NGC good for both. I would never send a coin in to PCGS for slabbing, as I believe they undergrade. The last two batches I've sent to ANACS have come back all over the map - a VF35 79cc dollar came back XF45 and a MS65 1883 p came back MS63. I sent 6 ANACS coins to NGC for cross over - 2 made it. I wouldn't touch an ACG, SEGS, NTC or PCI gold on eBay with a 10 foot pole, unless it was selling for several grades lower than certified. I also have reservations about ICG - my experience has been mixed. Anyone know why PCI went the way of ACG?

Here's some interesting stats from eBay -

There are 83000 US coins up for auction as of this evening

PCGS - 6650

NGC - 3881

NTC - 1124

PCI - 1014

ANACS - 739

ICG - 637

SEGS - 324

ACG - 185

Of those 83000, 8800 are Morgans

NGC - 533

PCGS - 510

PCI - 240

NTC - 235

ANACS - 166

ICG - 53

SEGS - 49

ACG - 42

NGC is the most popular among the Morgan fanciers.